Horn (and other gear)

Giles Williams

Dec 18, 2017, 2:34:53 PM12/18/17
to Narrowboat Simulator
Alright, so I know other traffic on the simu-cut isn't likely for a bit.

Nevertheless, it's good practice to sound the horn as you approach the marina exit and the tunnel entrance and any blind turns.

Speaking of the tunnel, can we get a lamp?

So that just leaves bilge-pumps, which are pretty unnecessary to the sim I'd say.

I'm enjoying this more and more, I'm thinking of trying to get the sim running when we reopen the Welcome Station at Old Ford Lock 19 next season - maybe I can hack together a proper throttle and tiller control from some brass tubing, boat spares and an old game pad but for the moment my Thrustmaster HOTAS set-up works fairly well.

Cheers,

-- Giles.

Michael

Dec 19, 2017, 7:17:00 AM12/19/17
to Narrowboat Simulator
Hi Giles,
yes, traffic on the simu-cut will take a bit. But some things just take a bit of time. I planned traffic roughly for levels with wide locks (sharing locks) but probably I'll add it earlier for the current "track".

Horn:
Do you happen to have an own recording of a nice Horn which you want to give away for the game? (Will be mentioned in the game credits, naturally).
I just don't have any proper recordings, yet and am living far from the canals (could just record horns of cruise ships or container ships passing here on the river Elbe).
Still, I can also search for some usable (license & quality) "horn" sound myself.

So there'll be some horn sound soon. And I'll map also a gamepad-button to it as I understand that people/kids might be enjoy pressing it again and again.

Lamp:
I am currently experimenting with it. However, it will be auto-lit in the tunnel.

Great to hear that you enjoy this little game. I'd be happy if you show it at the Event.

About Gamepad support: I'm thinking about adding a slight bit of vibration when the throttle/gear control passes tick-over.

Cheers,
Michael

Giles Williams

Dec 19, 2017, 7:55:51 AM12/19/17
to Narrowboat Simulator
Attached boathorn.wav adapted from some game resources I had lying around. Although I'm sure Elbe barges have similarly cool sounds.

Sampling canal noises is tricky, as you know there are plenty of different diesel sounds to choose from from the boink-boink of lovely old Bolinders to the muffled truck sounds of more recent motors.
boathorn.wav

Michael

Dec 20, 2017, 2:19:53 AM12/20/17
to Narrowboat Simulator
Thank you, Giles. :-)

Michael

Dec 21, 2017, 7:11:21 AM12/21/17
to Narrowboat Simulator
I attached some pictures about the "new" lamp in the tunnel.

lamp1.jpg
lamp2.jpg
lamp3.jpg