G27 support

jacksonk...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 4:57:35 PM3/30/20
to Narrowboat Simulator
Hi, I have been playing the game for a while now on PC and android. I was wondering if it would be possible to add wheel support in the PC version? It would be amazing to assign buttons to various functions such as bow thrusters etc. The G27's gear stick could be used as the gear controls. If you did add wheel support it would also be quite cool to have a river cruiser type boat to go with it, something like a Viking 23 or a Dawncraft 25 (very popular on the canals)

I look forward to seeing this develop

Thanks

Michael

Mar 31, 2020, 4:26:42 AM3/31/20
to Narrowboat Simulator
Already for some time I am considering to add something like a "learn" function in the options. A "simple" list of actions where you can assign joypad/joystick buttons (maybe even keyboard keys) one by one.

The game also only supports one gamepad/device at a time. This is a limitation I am planning to lift in the future so people with multiple devices (i.e. two Wiimotes) can use them.

As long as input devices behave like joysticks (i.e. move from -1 to +1 per axis value-wise) this should pose no problems. But specific VR input devices - while not impossible - will probably have to wait somewhat longer.

I am planning (mid-term) to implement some "challenging" tidal waters into the game. Those would be suited for narrowboats as well as cruisers. I recently evaluated the idea of implementing the "Ribble Link". http://www.ribblelink.co.uk/
At least the part from lock to lock seems to be doable mostly with terrain data without having to add too many additional features aside from the locks and very few buildings (including one bridge over the Savick Brook) on that stretch. That is tempting and would be a good place to add a cruiser (be it GRP, wood or steel).

Such a wide and rather featureless level would seem a bit (even more) boring but perhaps this is more suitable for multiplayer scenarios.

Simon Pooley

Mar 31, 2020, 4:43:04 AM3/31/20
to Narrowboat Simulator
The Ribble link would be marvellous to see in your simulator ... it's one of the few stretches of the system I've missed out on navigating in real life over the past 30-odd years! (I've visited the Lancaster end once, and Tarleton on two separate occasions - one for a planned trip across the link in a hire boat which was thwarted through lack of a return slot.)

Thank you, Michael, for your continued interest in the software.

Simon.

jacksonk...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2020, 7:28:06 PM4/1/20
to Narrowboat Simulator
Multiplayer you say? That would be amazing!