How to turn the bow thruster off?

andy....@gmail.com

May 17, 2019, 8:00:23 PM5/17/19
to Narrowboat Simulator
I can't seem to get the hang of the bow thruster. I can turn it on, but cant turn it off. I'm using the PC version with a touch screen. Is there a trick I am missing?

Michael

May 20, 2019, 4:39:17 AM5/20/19
to Narrowboat Simulator
(Answering in the Forum) You have discovered a bug in the touchscreen code of the game. I don't know how but it somehow slipped through the testing. :-)

As it affects one of the missions (Bow Thruster Show Off) I will try to fix it as soon as possible and release an update which will be the 2.0.
For now: On a PC you can use a mouse on the bow thruster buttons instead.

Michael

Michael

May 21, 2019, 6:12:20 AM5/21/19
to narrowboat...@googlegroups.com
I now did some testing & debugging. But... I couldn't reproduce your problem!

This is how the bow-thruster should work:
The thruster runs as long as you press the button.

It will disable temporarily when you press the button too long.

However: The button will stay "green" after you release the touch/click. That may be a bit misleading. (The reason for that is that the button still has the "focus".)

For testing, I found it best to move to the front view and listen to the audio. (Bowthruster sound)

I checked the bow-thruster code and it should work well with touch and/or mouse.

Does this problem still occur? And does the bow-thruster actually keeps going or it is just the button that stays green?

andy....@gmail.com

May 24, 2019, 12:15:06 PM5/24/19
to Narrowboat Simulator
Thanks for your replies.

I has another play, this time with the mouse.

Its a long time since I did GUIs, but my take is:

Yes the BT turns on when its gets the mouse down or the touch screen press event.

It turns off when it gets the mouse up event, but not when you finger leaves the screen.

Does that make any sense to you.

Michael

May 26, 2019, 9:36:21 AM5/26/19
to Narrowboat Simulator
Hi Andy,
seems I need to have another close look to this bow thruster...

Technically, the game engine is configured (here) that way that it (nearly) always sends both events. So if you actually touch a device then also a mouse event is sent and vice versa. The only exception are multiple touch events. For the "second" finger there'll be no mouse click event.

My code works with the touch events only (be them real or emulated mouse events) and also works ok if the "untouch" is outside the bow thruster button. (I.e. when pressed then dragged out from the button and released.)

I'll post again should I find something useful...