which OS is best for narro?

Umarzuki Mochlis

Jul 30, 2012, 11:15:32 AM7/30/12
to narro-...@googlegroups.com
i always prefer debian as server, personally but am open for suggestion

i'm trying to setup narro for local mozilla community in my country on a VPS

any help/tips is appreciated

thanks.

Alexandru Szasz

Aug 4, 2012, 6:19:55 AM8/4/12
to narro-...@googlegroups.com
Any Linux flavour would do. Need to allow running commands from PHP (exec, popen, etc).

I never tested on Windows.

Depending on how much data you store, it gets bigger. Note that for every key=value pair, you have on record per source language, one record for every target language, and several records for translation suggestions for every target language.
I am thinking of moving from MySQL to Mongo for better performance, but still, this is an application that will use your CPU extensively during imports (every key=value pair is searched in the database). Exports are easier.

I'd be happy to help you with the installation process. That would get me a validated install process on Debian. So far I only used Fedora/CentOS.

2012/7/30 Umarzuki Mochlis <umar...@gmail.com>

Alexandru Szasz

Umarzuki Mochlis

Aug 5, 2012, 10:48:35 AM8/5/12
to narro-...@googlegroups.com
2012/8/4 Alexandru Szasz <ale...@gmail.com>:
> Any Linux flavour would do. Need to allow running commands from PHP (exec,
> popen, etc).
>
> I never tested on Windows.
>
> Depending on how much data you store, it gets bigger. Note that for every
> key=value pair, you have on record per source language, one record for every
> target language, and several records for translation suggestions for every
> target language.
> I am thinking of moving from MySQL to Mongo for better performance, but
> still, this is an application that will use your CPU extensively during
> imports (every key=value pair is searched in the database). Exports are
> easier.
>
> I'd be happy to help you with the installation process. That would get me a
> validated install process on Debian. So far I only used Fedora/CentOS.

there probably won't be much action on mozilla-my that needs high RAM & CPU
current vds that i rented had 256 MB RAM & 10 GB disk space

this is so that we have local narro server (vds hosted in our own
country) despite expensive bandwidth cost (around 20 USD for 256 GB
RAM, 10 GB storage & 50GB bandwidth)

quite busy lately with study so will report back on this mailing list
if there's a problem configuring

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis