Is it just me or do others find the google group format awkward?

Deborah Taylor

Apr 12, 2012, 11:39:42 AM4/12/12
to narrative...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks!

I am fully prepared to discover that I am simply a middle aged Luddite who just doesn't quite "get" how to efficiently use this website.  But in case I am not alone:

Is anyone else frustrated with the Google groups website as a vehicle for sharing resources?  I find it "clunky" and awkward -

I don't use a gmail address for my email, and have to go the website to view messages, which means that when I click on a topic, I see posts from September through today.  I've mostly stopped using it as a result.

Is it worth exploring a different format for next year or is everyone else pretty happy with this one?

Thanks and many blessings for the Easter season!

Deborah (Duffy) in Ontario

Rev. Deb McMillan

May 18, 2012, 1:31:53 PM5/18/12
to narrative...@googlegroups.com
Hey Deborah, I'm a Deb too. And yes, I'm finding this google group format a little awkward too (and I'm comfortable with technology). It's been over a month since you posted. Have you heard anything yet?

Glidden UMC

May 19, 2012, 8:17:04 AM5/19/12
to narrative...@googlegroups.com
You shouldn't need to have a gmail address to get e-mails.  I don't (at least not one linked to my Google Groups account) and I get the emails.

That said, as someone planning to start using the Narrative Lectionary this fall, I'd also like an easier-to-use format. It's a little cumbersome to go back and find documents folks have created.

And, unless I'm missing something, there's not a lot of discussion/traffic.  I think I just discovered one reason:  If you reply to a message, it goes back to the original sender, not the googlegroups account.  You have to make a special effort to make sure it goes back to the whole group.  I'm thinking this is a setting the administrator could change?

Lorinda

Rev. Lorinda H. M. Hoover, OSL
Glidden United Methodist Church

Greg Fetzer

May 19, 2012, 4:28:04 PM5/19/12
to narrative...@googlegroups.com, glidd...@windstream.net
Folks,

I started a wiki for the Narrative Lectionary.  Go to www.NLwiki.org to see what I had in mind.  There is nothing for Year 1 and just a start for Year 2, but I think it'll give you a glimpse of what is possible.

Peace,
Greg

Chris Duckworth

Aug 10, 2012, 11:37:22 AM8/10/12
to narrative...@googlegroups.com
Any interest in creating a Facebook Group for the Narrative Lectionary? They are a little awkward, too, especially with sharing documents, but logging in, having conversations, and so forth are a bit easier. What do you all think?

PS. New here. Starting the NL in the fall, and looking forward to it!

Chris Duckworth

Aug 10, 2012, 11:40:54 AM8/10/12
to narrative...@googlegroups.com
And, for what it is worth, I'd be glad to set up a Facebook Group for the Narrative Lectionary. But, I don't want to undermine this Google Group. Having worked with Google Groups in the past, however, I agree about its format and would welcome a different platform, if there is any sort of consensus on shifting to FB instead.