A proposal to stop providing downloadable zips from the project website

Michael Musgrove

Nov 16, 2022, 5:30:49 AM11/16/22
to narayana-users
We would like to stop providing downloadable zips containing all of the project jars and sources.

The reason for this is that the individual jars, sources and javadocs for all of our artifacts are already available from maven central.

In the medium term you will still be able to obtain a full binary zip by building one from the project sources using the `narayana-full` maven module (https://github.com/jbosstm/narayana/tree/master/narayana-full).
And you can build a full source zip using git (git archive -o narayana-full-${tag}-src.zip $tag)

If anyone thinks this will cause them issues please raise your concerns here.

Manuel Finelli

Nov 21, 2022, 11:18:58 AM11/21/22
to Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
That's great news! This could be the first step to remove `narayana-full` from the code base as well. WDYT?

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 19, 2022, 9:13:32 AM12/19/22
to narayana-users
I think that we should plan to remove the narayana-full with this change.

But that being said, if we removed it we would lose three files. There are two for running quickstarts (we could consider to move those to quickstart repo) and a readme.txt. We could consider to move relevant content from the readme.txt to the documentation.

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 19, 2022, 10:02:24 AM12/19/22
to narayana-users
I am not even sure if the run_all_quickstarts aspect is working. It refers to some locations that I don't think would exist any more:

I have raised a task to review that aspect: https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3726

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 19, 2022, 10:06:31 AM12/19/22
to narayana-users
It seems you are intended to download and unzip quickstarts: https://github.com/jbosstm/narayana/blob/main/narayana-full/readme.txt#L43-L45 so that could be documented, I will update JBTM-3726

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 19, 2022, 10:15:51 AM12/19/22
to narayana-users
I have split the topic about running all quickstarts to it's own issue: https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3728

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 19, 2022, 10:16:25 AM12/19/22
to narayana-users
I have raised a JBTM related to the general readme.txt https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3727

Tom Jenkinson

Dec 19, 2022, 10:37:59 AM12/19/22
to narayana-users
We would also need to have a plan related to scripts: https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3730

Michael Musgrove

Nov 14, 2023, 6:31:08 AM11/14/23
to narayana-users
I am marking this question as complete since we have updated the downloads section of the website.
The related issue https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3730 is still outstanding but we can fix that with a short note in the website downloads section to indicate where users can obtain the scripts by pointing to the relevant github sources.