Adding support for Virtual Threads in the next release

Michael Musgrove

Jun 12, 2023, 5:03:00 AM6/12/23
to narayana-users
JDK 21 [1] will be officially supporting Virtual Threads [2]. To support this release we will be replacing synchronized blocks with ReentrantLock using pr/2077 [5]. This modification has the potential to change the locking semantics of Narayana [3,4]. In order to give the community maximal opportunity to verify the safety of this update we plan to make the change in the next release.

[1] https://openjdk.org/projects/jdk/21/
[2] https://openjdk.org/jeps/444
[3] https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3789?focusedId=22434126&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-22434126
[4] https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3734