Conscious language

Michael Musgrove

Nov 8, 2022, 8:59:28 AM11/8/22
to narayana-users
The Narayana project will soon move to its' next major version and I'd like to use that as an opportunity to ensure that we are following best practices and recommendations in relation to the use of Conscious Language.

The primary change will be the renaming of the main branch to `main`.

Manuel Finelli

Nov 8, 2022, 9:22:23 AM11/8/22
to Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
That is amazing news! Thanks Michael for taking action on this!

On Tue, 8 Nov 2022 at 13:59, Michael Musgrove <michael....@gmail.com> wrote:
The Narayana project will soon move to its' next major version and I'd like to use that as an opportunity to ensure that we are following best practices and recommendations in relation to the use of Conscious Language.

The primary change will be the renaming of the main branch to `main`.

Michael Musgrove

Nov 8, 2022, 9:37:05 AM11/8/22
to narayana-users
The issue number is https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3718. It's currently unassigned (but we need to make the change before releasing 6.0.0.Final).

Marco Sappe Griot

Nov 8, 2022, 9:37:33 AM11/8/22
to narayana-users, Michael Musgrove

Marco Sappe Griot

Nov 8, 2022, 11:47:32 AM11/8/22
to Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
Hi,
I can take care of that issue, but tomorrow I will be on PTO so I could start working on it on Thursday. Is that ok with everybody?

Marco

Manuel Finelli

Nov 8, 2022, 12:14:54 PM11/8/22
to Marco Sappe Griot, Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
It works for me. Thanks Marco!

Michael Musgrove

Nov 9, 2022, 4:03:49 AM11/9/22
to narayana-users
The issue number for this work is https://issues.redhat.com/browse/JBTM-3718 and the target version is 6.next so please don't rename the branch until we have released the last version in the 5.x series. The plan is to release Narayana version `5.13.1.Final` next week and that should be the last 5.x release.

Any other work (beyond the branch rename) relating to the use of Conscious Language can proceed at any time, although resolving JBTM-3718 in one go would make more sense.

Marco Sappe Griot

Nov 11, 2022, 5:19:06 AM11/11/22
to Michael Musgrove, Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
Thanks @Michael Musgrove for the information. I am starting to study the guidelines/recommendations [1][2][3].
I will note all the changes it would be nice to have together with master -> main branch rename and I will discuss them with all of you before proceeding.
The main change might be replace 'master', 'slave', 'whitelist' and 'blacklist' words (when it's appropriate) from narayana, quickstart and performance repos.
My personal choice would be to apply these replacements:

'master' -> main/primary
'slave' -> secondary
'whitelist' -> passlist/allowlist
'blacklist' -> denylist/blocklist

If you would like to adopt a more conscious/inclusive language on these terms, or others I did not mention, please reach out to me (i.e. opening a PR and mentioning me might be a nice way) or discuss it here .
Thanks,

Marco

Tom Jenkinson

Nov 11, 2022, 5:49:31 AM11/11/22
to Marco Sappe Griot, Michael Musgrove, Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
I think the documentation and website repos should be included too please, Marco.

Manuel Finelli

Nov 11, 2022, 6:40:34 AM11/11/22
to Marco Sappe Griot, Michael Musgrove, Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
Great news Marco! Thank you very much for taking care of this! Personally, I like:
'master' -> main
'slave' -> secondary
'whitelist' -> passlist
'blacklist' -> blocklist

Marco Sappe Griot

Nov 11, 2022, 7:15:14 AM11/11/22
to Manuel Finelli, Michael Musgrove, Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
Thanks Manuel and Tom for your input!
I will also check the documentation and website repo!
Regards,
Marco

Michael Musgrove

Nov 16, 2022, 7:06:51 AM11/16/22
to narayana-users
The only branch we use for the website repo is `develop` so I'd say that does not need to change.

Marco Sappe Griot

Dec 5, 2022, 4:09:37 AM12/5/22
to Michael Musgrove, narayana-users
Good morning,
I am glad to announce that all default branches named 'master' of repositories present in https://github.com/jbosstm were renamed this morning into 'main'.
Note that all PRs targeting the 'master' branch were updated, now they are targeting the 'main' branch.
The branch protection rule (if present) was updated.
But this change did not update members' local environments!

If you want to update your local environments you can execute the following commands (thes are the github suggestions):
git branch -m master main
git fetch origin
git branch -u origin/main main
git remote set-head origin -a

In environment using 'upstream' remote instead of 'origin' (if using upstream as a remote name -> check it out with the command 'git remote -vv'):
git branch -m master main
git fetch upstream
git branch -u upstream/main main
git remote set-head upstream -a

The following repositories' branches were updated: