binary release for ARM macs?

David Jacobowitz

Jul 7, 2023, 1:06:37 PM7/7/23
to nan...@googlegroups.com

My org has been using nanopb for a couple years now and for when you have to use "C" it's been very helpful for us.

We also have been using the binary release packages that you build because it simplifies life for us; we already have enough complex and sometimes conflicting dependencies on our system, it's nice to have nanopb sort wrapped up on its own.

But we are running into a problem that we can't get x86 macs anymore and was wondering if we can expect macos-arm64 packages soon?

I understand that x86 binaries should "just work" on Mx macs via Rosetta, but so far that has not been our experience, at least for nanopb.

Best,
Dave J

Petteri Aimonen

Jul 7, 2023, 2:04:51 PM7/7/23
to nan...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I think GitHub doesn't yet host any M1-based Mac OS X runners, though they
have added for self-hosted M1 runners. Cross-building from x86 Mac OS X would
probably be possible, but it wouldn't allow automatic testing of the built packages.

So I'll consider adding M1 packages when GitHub adds the support:
https://github.com/github/roadmap/issues/528

While it is not quite same, I'd suggest using Python's pip to install nanopb.
It can be done inside a virtualenv and it brings in protoc also (via grpcio-tools package).

--
Petteri

David Jacobowitz

Jul 7, 2023, 3:49:31 PM7/7/23
to nanopb
Thanks for considering it. I did not know about the github runners; that's interesting. I hope GitHub gets on that soon!

We'll try the pip route. I feel like we tried it once; I think maybe our problems with that were conflicts between that protoc and the one from brew. I could be misremembering.