Citation for NE-1

German Barcenas

Feb 10, 2023, 11:56:50 AM2/10/23
to nanoengineer-dev
Hello,

I'm in the process of publishing a paper, and I used NE-1 to build some DNA scaffold for my work. I'd like to cite this software, but I can't find a complete citation. So far, I have just found:

1.          Sims, M.; Smith, B.; Helfrich, B.; Sathaye, N.; Messick, E.; Moore, T.; Fish, R.; Rajagopalan, M.; Rotkiewicz, P.; Drexler, E.; et al. Nanoengineer-1—A CAD-Based Molecular Modeling Program for Structural DNA Nanotechnology. 2008[M1] , 175–178.

And here was the comment from the jornal:

 [M1] [M1]Can not find online, Please add journal name, volume number. Or please provide the url link and accessed on date in day month year.

Can anyone help me by providing something like journal name, or DOI?

Tom

Feb 10, 2023, 12:01:03 PM2/10/23
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com
I think that was only published in the conference proceedings of FNANO in 2008. Damian Allis might have more information. His contact info is is at https://www.somewhereville.com/

Best regards,

Tom.

Bryan Bishop

Feb 10, 2023, 12:04:04 PM2/10/23
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop

German Barcenas

Feb 10, 2023, 12:06:37 PM2/10/23
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
Thanks for the quick responses Tom and Bryan. I'll see what I can do.I think the FNANO precidings and document will give me what I need to make it a proper citation.

--
German Barcenas
Ph.D Candidate | Materials Science and Engineering

Damian Allis

Feb 10, 2023, 12:56:37 PM2/10/23
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com

Greetings German and everyone else,

That was about it -

Sims M., Smith B., Helfrich B., Sathaye N., Messick E., Moore T., Fish R., Rajagopalan M., Rotkiewicz P., Hendricks D., Drexler K.E., and Allis D.G. “NanoEngineer-1 – A CAD-based molecular modeling program for structural DNA nanotechnology.”  Foundations of Nanoscience: Self-Assembled Architectures and Devices 2008 (FNANO08), Snowbird, UT, USA, April 22-25, 2008, pgs. 175-178.

We did try to publish an article in the Journal of Computational Chemistry back in 2008 (prior to FNANO) about the program and the force field (the reduced-model DNA force field, not the atomistic one we were working on for diamondoid stuff) to have a more official citation. The paper was, admittedly, written as more of a software release announcement than a scientific article, which meant being very light on the technical details of the DNA force field - no rigorous testing and comparisons to fully-atomistic models, just that the capability existed and was useful for drawing and simulating the larger structural features of DNA nanostructures (and included representative structures. And a full description of the reduced-model force field. And the file exactly as needed to add to GROMACS to run stuff. Reviewers. Happy to dig up the copy if anyone's interested - just drop me a sep. line). The attempt to publish on *both* the GUI and a new force field was, arguably, too much for a single (not deep enough into the technical weeds) paper.

Worse, the reviewer (honest to goodness) couldn't find the download button on the website. The last sentence of the paper was less than helpful to them: "File downloads, up-to-date information on programs supported within NE1, and version information about this and subsequent releases are available from the Nanorex, Inc. website, http://www.nanoengineer-1.com."

We gave up on that specific version of the paper and focused on FNANO-related work. The plan was to try again eventually with both, get more force field testing done, put together more DNA examples for comparison with experiment, etc., but it all (sadly) never got that far.

Thinking small,

Damian

Message has been deleted

German Barcenas

Feb 10, 2023, 1:14:40 PM2/10/23
to nanoengi...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Damian! I appreciate the back story as well.

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 12:09 PM Damian Allis <somewhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

Greetings German and everyone else,

That was about it -

Sims M., Smith B., Helfrich B., Sathaye N., Messick E., Moore T., Fish R., Rajagopalan M., Rotkiewicz P., Hendricks D., Drexler K.E., and Allis D.G. “NanoEngineer-1 – A CAD-based molecular modeling program for structural DNA nanotechnology.”  Foundations of Nanoscience: Self-Assembled Architectures and Devices 2008 (FNANO08), Snowbird, UT, USA, April 22-25, 2008, pgs. 175-178.

We did try to publish an article in the Journal of Computational Chemistry back in 2008 (prior to FNANO) about the program (and the force fields (both the fully-atomistic and the reduced-model DNA force field) but mostly just the release of the GUI). The paper was, admittedly, written as more of a software release announcement than a scientific article, which meant being very light on the technical details of the DNA force field - no rigorous testing and comparisons to fully-atomistic models, just that the capability existed and was useful for drawing reduced-model versions of DNA nanostructures. Worse still, the DNA Nano functionality was still a work in progress at the time of our submitting the paper and, to the best of my recollection, not yet fully available for unrestricted "download" (as in "Here's the link. Come and get it.").

The review had lots of small critiques of the paper itself (reviewer...), but ended it with:

"I am afraid I can not recommend this paper for publication. However I would like to point out that this is not due to
poor quality of the announced software but rather the fact that the software is not yet available, the reduced DNA
model is neither published nor explained nor benchmarked and the poor style of the paper."

Damian Allis