Nanode FTDI module being used for serial 5V TTL comunication.

VideoLiam

Mar 3, 2013, 6:09:14 AM3/3/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I hope some one can help me with this.

I just bought the finger print scanner from cool components Product code 001102

http://www.coolcomponents.co.uk/catalog/fingerprint-scanner-p-1102.html

This comes with demo software to test with a PC via a VSP and FTDI. It is listed as a 5V TTL unit and communicated via serial.

So I thought I should be fine hooking it up to my Nanode adaptor, power is in range 5v, just hook up the txd and rxd to the scanner and bobs your uncle.

Sadly nothing has worked. I have a blue power led on the scanner, but no communication to the unit through the demo softwear.. I have tried swapping the rx and tx in to crossover mode but still nothing and I have tried matching the baud rate for the nanode ftdi, nothing. The PC detects the removal and attatching of the FDTI and I have checked it uploads to a wi-node.

Having read the spec sheet for the CP2102 chip (the nanode ftdi) I notice it is a UART serial interface, which I am wondering if it is different from the 5V TTL serial interface expected by the finger print scanner. Could it be as rudimentory as this?

Thanks

Liam

SomeRandomBloke

Mar 4, 2013, 2:35:13 PM3/4/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
What pins did you connect the tx and rx on the scanner to on the nanode? If it was the regular tx/rx on 0 and 1 then this wouldnt work while you have the ftdi (or equivalent) cable plugged in.
To use both together you'd need to select 2 unused pins and use SoftSerial to communicate with the scanner.

Hope this helps

SRB

dickheadgates

Mar 4, 2013, 6:14:22 PM3/4/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

Thanks for that.

I was actually connecting the FDTI, 'Adaptor' Directly to the scanner. The grn to grn. 5v to 5v, and the rx, to tx. And tx to rx. Thinking I was replicating the demo video, on the cool comp site.

I have tried using the nanode to through interface.

I will look up the softwear you suggest and see I can learn.

Thank you for the tips.

Liam