Sketch works on FTDI Power, not on External DC (Nanode5)

Smithgor

Jan 27, 2013, 9:21:11 AM1/27/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
This relates to nanode 5 with winode backpack.

Revisiting a working installation that stopped working last Autumn. Gone back to basics.

Simple fade sketch loaded to test output of Pin5 (LED). Works perfectly on FTDI powered set up.

With FTDI removed and replaced with a 9v DC supply Pin 5 LED comes on at full brightness and stays on.

Pressing reset does one of following, seemingly at random:-
a) Pin 5 LED glows at one intensity
b) Winode LED (pin 6) lights
c) Pin 5 LED flashes rapidly then stays lit, along with Winode LED
d) Pin 5 LED flashes rapidly then stays lit, without Winode LED
e) Pin 5 LED flashes once and all LEDs stay off.

Please can someone explain what is going on / what am I missing?

Thanks

Gordon

Smithgor

Jan 28, 2013, 6:41:05 AM1/28/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
I've tried uploading the original project sketch which works fine when powered from FTDI
Changing over to 9vDC through the screw terminals the same sketch appears to work for several minutes before it hangs.

Can I use the FTDI/USB cable for the Serial Monitor function whilst powering from 9vDC through terminal block or will I fry the FTDI board? This might indicate where/why sketch hangs.

My reasoning for going with the higher voltage is that USB power will give less voltage on the (PWM) outputs than if I power from 9v. I'm feeding output to 0-5v controller but getting max 2.8v from Nanode when powered by FTDI. Hoping 9v supply will give higher output.