Reset on ethernet link up?

Andrew Elwell

Dec 12, 2012, 1:09:04 AM12/12/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I notice from the enc spec sheet
(http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39662d.pdf ) that
there's an LLSTAT register holding the link state as well as an
interrupt on link up.

Could either of these be used on a nanode to force it to restart on
link availability? -- may need some spi flash logic so that it doesn't
get stuck in a loop, but I figured that a simple way to reboot remote
nodes is to pull (physically or via a managed switch) the network
cable for a short time.

Madness?

Andrew

Dirk-Willem van Gulik

Dec 13, 2012, 7:32:24 AM12/13/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
No that works - just set LINKIE and then when the IRQ comes in check if LINKIF is set - and if so - reset/reboot whatever you want to reboot.

Dw.

Nicholas J Humfrey

Dec 16, 2012, 2:09:16 PM12/16/12
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
I do like the idea of using the link status to reset the Nanode - but
wouldn't it be better to do this in hardware, in case there a (serious)
software problem?

Other suggestion is to use PoE, although I haven't find a good/cheapish
managed switch. The LinkSys managed switch I bought was a disaster
(require specific/old version of IE to manage it).

nick.