Home Monitoring

Earl Grey

Mar 19, 2013, 3:30:02 PM3/19/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
OK - Read quite a bit here and elsewhere but still not aware if there are any reliable collections of existing commercial equipment/modules/sensors that can be modified and put to work.  I want to monitor things like temperature/humidity, equipment status, water leaks, unauthorised entry (using a PIR) and such like + get all info back to a twitter feed but with minimum equipment deployment (cost).   Anyone done that, know where to look or able to share notes ?  Thanks in anticipation for any guidance

toch...@gmail.com

May 31, 2013, 10:21:56 AM5/31/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Well, there is no real complete ecosystem that does all you'll want to do.  After a lot of "reading here and there" myself, I chose to go with the panstamp offering, because it provides RF, relays and 0-10V, temperature/humidity on batteries, and the support/community is lively. Unfortunately, nanode seems very quite, and jcw's jeenode is also seriously impacted by teh RFM12b being end of life.

Panstamps may not be the cheapest, but still sensibly cheaper than most new flash-in-the-pan kickstarter initiatives IMHO or official Arduinos, and very well documented.

Kyle Gordon

Dec 24, 2013, 4:25:13 AM12/24/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
I came across this post and had it bookmarked for a reply.... 7 months later isn't too bad :-)

Jeenodes and other RFM12 based solutions are not end of lifed. As JCW pointed out in his blog post at http://jeelabs.org/2013/06/28/status-of-the-rfm12b/ - the RFM12B is simply deprecated in favour of other products by HopeRF.

Personally I'm continuing to use Jeenodes, along with TinyTX sensors. For slightly more heavyweight stuff I'm particularly interested in anything that uses the TI CC3000 - it's looking like a very cheap alternative to the Arduino WiFi sheild. Just watch out for those firmware updates.

Kyle

Ken Boak

Dec 24, 2013, 4:47:32 AM12/24/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Kyle,

You might be interested in the WildFire, a TI CC3000 Arduino-like board, using the ATmega1284.

Ken

Jon Bartlett

Dec 24, 2013, 5:50:37 AM12/24/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com

…and just in case Christopher is still reading this list – maybe he can take a look at XinoRF – who have a whole range of wireless stuff….and they’r pretty friendly helpful guys too..

Stuart Poulton

Dec 26, 2013, 3:48:00 PM12/26/13
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Here's a blog post about my initial investigations into using RFu-328 from Ciseco as a sensor platform, specifically battery powered.

So far so good :)

Merry Christmas

Stu

mikethebee

Feb 25, 2014, 3:42:14 PM2/25/14
to nanode...@googlegroups.com
Good to see Ken is still in touch, now in 2014 it seems that there is still a need for an affordable, flexible and interoperable system for home automation. I am  currently helping the OpenTRV guys who a tackling just one small area and it is really demanding to do that. I have great hopes for EVE from Ciseco, and continue to watch developments.

-Mike