Question about mapper_rework branch

Akeem A.

Dec 13, 2010, 1:48:28 PM12/13/10
to Nanite
Hi,

I have been looking at the mapper_rework branch of nanite recently
and have a few questions. At the moment, it looks as though request
from agents now go through the mapper proxy prior to the mapper. Will
this be the path of communication in the new design, or is this part
of transitioning new functionality into the mapper?

I understand that this branch is a major change from master, but would
you be able to provide some direction as to how you would like to
change some of these components. We utilize nanite a good amount, and
like the direction of the mapper rework. I am willing to help where I
can, but would like to make sure that I do not add things that aren't
inline with your vision.

Thanks,
Akeem

Mathias Meyer

Dec 14, 2010, 4:10:08 AM12/14/10
to nan...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Akeem A. <akeem....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have been looking at the mapper_rework branch of nanite recently
> and have a few questions. At the moment, it looks as though request
> from agents now go through the mapper proxy prior to the mapper.  Will
> this be the path of communication in the new design, or is this part
> of transitioning new functionality into the mapper?

The mapper proxy is not a new development, it's a pretty useful way of
agents and clients pushing messages into the cluster, and I don't
intent to change the way it works apart from the agent currently using
two connections to talk to RabbitMQ.

> I understand that this branch is a major change from master, but would
> you be able to provide some direction as to how you would like to
> change some of these components. We utilize nanite a good amount, and
> like the direction of the mapper rework. I am willing to help where I
> can, but would like to make sure that I do not add things that aren't
> inline with your vision.

I described most of what I've planned in an earlier email on the
mailing list already, but the general gist is to improve stability and
robustness. The mapper rework branch is a preparation to split up
mapper responsibilities into separate processes eventually. For that
to work properly I had to remove some questionable features for now,
which may be added back later.

Cheers, Mathias
--
http://paperplanes.de