Can't find Namebench after install and first run

Lencoh

Dec 29, 2013, 2:42:47 PM12/29/13
to name...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded and installed namebench and it ran fine the first time.  Does it uninstall after you run it?  It isn't in my start menu (windows 7) and I can't find it when searching my system. Where does it install as a default?

Emily Stubbs

Jan 12, 2014, 7:53:57 PM1/12/14
to name...@googlegroups.com
What OS are you using?  I'm on win8, and went to search, and typed in namebench to pull it up that way. Otherwise I have no idea where it is on my pc. lol

Emily Stubbs

Jan 13, 2014, 6:51:35 PM1/13/14
to name...@googlegroups.com
It's not like a downloaded software it's like and extractable file. So you have to open the file to re-run it each time. Go

Emily Stubbs

Jan 13, 2014, 6:56:33 PM1/13/14
to name...@googlegroups.com

It's not like a downloaded software it's an extractable file. So you have to open the file to re-run it each time. Try going to your downloaded file where you downloaded it the first time and click to open it from there. Otherwise just download it , again.

And hey, if you do find it and re-run it after changing your DSN Could you tell me if it still shows the origional DSN numbers in the white box where you start the search. It shows my old ones and my new ones and I don't know why.

Emran Uh Huh

Feb 5, 2017, 10:09:07 PM2/5/17
to namebench
It's actually in your windows user account, AppData/Local/Temp

Craig Pierpont

Jul 23, 2017, 12:11:42 PM7/23/17
to namebench
As Emran says, (in Windows) when you run the downloaded .exe file, it puts a .zip file in your AppData/Local/Temp folder and then extracts to there. Your configurations and results will be saved there also. This means that if you clear your Temp folder either manually or by running software like CCleaner, all your settings and results will be lost. Presumably one could move all the namebench files to a permanent location to avoid this but I have not tried it. If anybody else has, they could post and save others from experimentation.

adam hoier

Sep 6, 2020, 12:09:34 AM9/6/20
to namebench
exactly....i assume they did this since it's intended as a "one time use" type application.....and the cleanmgr app would eventually "clear" the TEMP directory after x amount of days......it's not intended to be ran multiple times.  Since llatency/speed doesn;t change that often.....the biggest thing im seeing, is do I want the "fastest" DNS response, or the best "filtering" option available....tempted to go the raspberry pihole route and just use my ISP DNS (actually shown as the fastest.....though they do serve ads, which I can block, for invalid domains,, etc)