Is NameBench Going To Be Updated Anytime Soon?

Michael Lauzon

Nov 16, 2012, 2:48:07 AM11/16/12
to name...@googlegroups.com
The last update according to the namebench's web site on Google Code is from June of 2010, there's been a lot of updates to web sites by them adding more IP ranges, etc, heck even new DNS players have shown up over the last two years.

So, when can we expect an update, or is namebench now abandonware, if that's the case, change the license to GPL2, and release the source code so others may take up where you left off..?!

Thomas Strömberg

Nov 16, 2012, 10:33:20 AM11/16/12
to name...@googlegroups.com
Hey Michael,

I agree, it has been far too long since the last release.

The good news is that namebench development started up again this
week, and an update is coming soon. I am in the middle if migrating
namebench to a new code hosting site, but you can already get the
current source code to namebench here:
https://github.com/google/namebench.

The current branch only works as a command-line utility - I won't have
the graphical interfaces synced up until next week. Perhaps the most
important change to namebench 2.0 will be that the list of nameservers
and IP ranges will be self-updating, which means that namebench should
go out of date much more slowly.

BTW - The source code to namebench has always been open-source (Apache
2), so it can already be forked or contributed to. In fact, the reason
I am relocating the code to github is so that users can contribute
code more easily.

Christian Hagberg

Jan 22, 2013, 10:24:15 PM1/22/13
to name...@googlegroups.com
It's about time!

I love the program!

Keep up the splendid work!
Message has been deleted

cjoh...@siwc.com

Feb 21, 2013, 12:05:53 AM2/21/13
to name...@googlegroups.com
Love this program and that you are working to make the list of name-servers self-updating. Thank you.

Any estimate on when the 2.0 version gui update for this might be available?

Is the 2.0 command line version downloadable and usable now?

Priten Patel

Jun 7, 2016, 10:12:06 PM6/7/16
to namebench
I know this program hasn't been updated in a long time, but could you take a look at a build issue I'm having?

$ go get code.google.com/p/go.net/publicsuffix

package code.google.com/p/go.net/publicsuffix: unable to detect version control system for code.google.com/ path

I believe this is because google shutdown/moved it's Google Code service.

Any help would be incredibly appreciated, and thank you for making such an amazing program to being with.