Can't find namebench report

Ideal

Nov 13, 2017, 9:03:37 PM11/13/17
to namebench
After running namebench 1.3.1, the status portion says, "Complete! <server name is here> is the best."

But where can I find the report (HTML page) that is generated? Nothing opens in my browser and I don't see the report in /tmp (another post mentioned they found it there). I am running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Josh Brown

Mar 25, 2018, 6:50:31 PM3/25/18
to namebench
Same issue here. Nothing happens after namebench completes.

Running: 10.13.3

JG

Apr 1, 2018, 3:53:30 PM4/1/18
to namebench
Same here, on macOS 10.13.3. Namebench completes, then just hangs. The report is nowhere to be found.

Warren Wright

Apr 6, 2018, 10:54:12 AM4/6/18
to namebench
This is documented on the google code page for Namebench - you can find your report via command line and open it with:
  find /var/ -iname "namebench_*.html" 2>/dev/null | xargs open

JG

Apr 8, 2018, 7:16:48 PM4/8/18
to namebench
Doesn't work for me - that command returns nothing.

Anyway it looks like namebench 1.x is abandoned and we need to wait for namebench 2.0 for something that works on a contemporary OS.

In the meantime there's https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm which actually works and generates results today.

vince Greco

Jun 10, 2018, 10:49:26 AM6/10/18
to namebench
I saw this:

Namebench

While the app still runs in High Sierra, you won’t see any output. However, thanks to commenter Marc K., you can still see the output once it’s done. Open Terminal and paste this command:

find /var/ -iname "namebench_*.html" 2>/dev/null | xargs open

This will open the results page in your browser—including the below-referenced eye candy—so you can compare the various DNS that were analyzed. Thanks Marc!

adam hoier

Sep 6, 2020, 8:25:36 AM9/6/20
to namebench
i actually stumbled on that project first and was curious what the big difference was.  google's namebench seems to have some more testing options/features (uses alexa ranked sites.....or can be ran against sites already in your history...etc)  but yea i revisited the app lalst night on windows 10 and it seems hit and miss.  i let it run overnight and it appeared to crash with no sight of the benchmark html file (looked everywhere lol).  but yea, the project seems dead, but grc works just as good.

Cesar F

Mar 19, 2021, 5:49:45 PM3/19/21
to namebench
I use chrome but namebench opened IE instead! (not ms edge)
maybe if it's uninstalled didn't show anything