Protocol for managing LUG's resources

Munyoki Kilyungi

Nov 15, 2023, 12:29:29 PM11/15/23
to nairo...@googlegroups.com, Benson Muite

Hi guys. I can see that Benson created the
following domain---clever if I may say so:

https://nairobi.lug.or.ke

Given that people get quite busy as their careers
progress (or life happens), how do we go about
managing/improving what we already have?

Resources here AFAICT for now are:

- twitter a/c
- mod'ing across the various platforms (Telegram,
Discord, IRC, email etc etc) we run
- the domain(s)
- github admin privileges

I reckon a discussion about how to volunteer money
to buy the domain, and getting food stuff for
meet-ups should be had if people are comfortable
talking about it.

I filed an issue here:

https://github.com/nairobilug/nairobilug.or.ke/issues/206

Comments and suggestions welcome.

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)

Dennis Mungai

Nov 15, 2023, 1:05:28 PM11/15/23
to Nairobi Linux Users Group, Benson Muite
Do we still host and run the meet ups?

Munyoki Kilyungi

Nov 15, 2023, 1:19:53 PM11/15/23
to Dennis Mungai, Nairobi Linux Users Group, Benson Muite
Dennis Mungai <dmn...@gmail.com> aliandika:

> Do we still host and run the meet ups?

Yup. Not as regular though. We have had a
handful of virtual and physical meet-ups this
year. There's one that me and (mostly) Benson
want to organize hosted at Eastlands College. The
ANN for that will come once some things with them
are finalized IIRC. WRT the meet-ups, the people
who show up are consistent which is a good thing
by my books.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nairobi-gnu/CAKKYfmH%3DsG72rEWZFT3qwtNh0LRKS%3D95b2sZc_GWFm3PnDuyoQ%40mail.gmail.com.
signature.asc

Benson Muite

Nov 16, 2023, 3:02:54 AM11/16/23
to Munyoki Kilyungi, Dennis Mungai, Nairobi Linux Users Group
Would be good to document on the website who is in charge of what, e.g.
domain, version control admins, communication channel admins. These
responsibilities should be rotated or an option to rotate them being
given once a year.

Would be good to keep barrier to entry low. Maybe different levels of
membership if needed. For in person meetups, some expectation of cost
should be shared in advance. It is reasonable for people to buy their
own, or share the cost, 50-100/= per person would get a drink and a
snack, though at some locations drink/snack cost is about the same as a
1 year domain name rental.

Other costs would depend on what people want. Would be nice to
experiment with new technologies as time allows. Hardware/hosting costs
could be done on a project basis. Developing and/or trying technologies
to see how they work in Nairobi and other parts of Africa would be great.

Munyoki Kilyungi

Nov 17, 2023, 1:23:26 AM11/17/23
to Benson Muite, Dennis Mungai, Nairobi Linux Users Group
Benson Muite <benson...@emailplus.org>
aliandika:

[...]

> Would be good to document on the website who is in charge of what, e.g.
> domain, version control admins, communication channel admins. These
> responsibilities should be rotated or an option to rotate them being
> given once a year.
>
> Would be good to keep barrier to entry low. Maybe different levels of
> membership if needed. For in person meetups, some expectation of cost
> should be shared in advance. It is reasonable for people to buy their
> own, or share the cost, 50-100/= per person would get a drink and a
> snack, though at some locations drink/snack cost is about the same as a
> 1 year domain name rental.
>
> Other costs would depend on what people want. Would be nice to
> experiment with new technologies as time allows. Hardware/hosting costs
> could be done on a project basis. Developing and/or trying technologies
> to see how they work in Nairobi and other parts of Africa would be great.

I could work up an RFC for how to manage things
over the weekend or this coming week. That sound
good?
signature.asc

Benson Muite

Nov 17, 2023, 3:21:30 AM11/17/23
to Munyoki Kilyungi, Dennis Mungai, Nairobi Linux Users Group

> I could work up an RFC for how to manage things
> over the weekend or this coming week. That sound
> good?

+1