Re: [nairobilug/nairobilug.or.ke] Content licenses (Issue #197)

Munyoki Kilyungi

Oct 2, 2022, 3:14:10 PM10/2/22
to nairobilug/nairobilug.or.ke, nairo...@googlegroups.com

I noticed that we don't have a license for a our
main website; and Benson was gracious enough to
point that out! Thanks.

Benson Muite <notifi...@github.com> aliandika:

> Maybe worth adding licenses for content,

That license should we adopt? Opinions are
welcome. I'd be glad to add one them once we
settle on something that's (a) copy-left; (b) GPL
compliant; and (c) makes majority of this
community happy. Other opinions/requirements are
welcome. I would propose:

- CC-BY-SA-4.0 - For all the markdown content and
images related to them (all our posts).

- CC0-1.0 - For minor things like ".gitignore",
".gitmodules" and pictures.

- GPL-3.0-or-later - For code and configuration
files.

Next step is to get consent from the (living)
authors who already wrote something, then I'll add
the license. That said...

> see for example https://reuse.software/dev/

I've skimmed "reuse" and it seems quite useful.
In fact, I've already annotated all the files and
after running:

reuse lint

I get:

# SUMMARY

* Bad licenses:
* Deprecated licenses:
* Licenses without file extension:
* Missing licenses:
* Unused licenses:
* Used licenses: CC-BY-SA-4.0, CC0-1.0, GPL-3.0-or-later
* Read errors: 0
* Files with copyright information: 95 / 95
* Files with license information: 95 / 95

Congratulations! Your project is compliant with version 3.0 of the REUSE Specification :-)

Of course I've made assumptions about the
licensing stuff already. I'll create a PR some
time later this week for other people to review
and comment on and get feedback. I'll also raise
this on the main channel.

This licensing business should be an entire blog
post of it's own ;)

PS: Should you reply to this by mail, please do a
wide reply so that the comments also show up on
GitHub.

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)