Linux Friendly Printers

krmboya

Aug 24, 2021, 9:05:08 AM8/24/21
to Nairobi GNU/Linux User Group

Any got experiences with Linux friendly (multi-function) printers?

Looking for one for light usage, that would work well with Linux. Preferrable with non-chipped cartridges.

Dennis Mungai

Aug 24, 2021, 11:32:37 AM8/24/21
to nairo...@googlegroups.com
Well, I’ve only ever used a printer from the mid 2000s to date, something by HP which has a simple scanner + printer mode, plugging in via USB. And that one works out of the box on any modern Linux distribution.

As a rule of thumb, the older a printer is, the more likely everything on it will “just work”.

On Tue, 24 Aug 2021 at 16:05, krmboya <krm...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any got experiences with Linux friendly (multi-function) printers?

Looking for one for light usage, that would work well with Linux. Preferrable with non-chipped cartridges.

Kenny Rachuonyo

Aug 26, 2021, 12:53:05 AM8/26/21
to nairo...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, HP is quite ubiquitous.

The older models are also likely non-chipped. Will see if there's any
in the market
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nairobi-gnu/CAKKYfmHmDREByuKEs4o9sGXQh7W1xeqEn96QSgVxaKmMT_P5WQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Prince Bett

Aug 26, 2021, 1:17:22 AM8/26/21
to 'Michael Bullut' via Nairobi GNU/Linux User Group
Heeey,

I have a HP Deskjet 2030 I bought last year. I've had no problem using it.

I use arch and the hplip (AUR) package offers all the necessary drivers and it works well with Xsane.

I use it to  copy, print and scan docs. The catridges are chipped though.

Best regards,
Prince Bett.

Prince Bett

Aug 26, 2021, 1:19:43 AM8/26/21
to 'Michael Bullut' via Nairobi GNU/Linux User Group
[Edit] It's a hp deskjet 2130.

Best regards,
Prince Bett.

krmboya

Aug 26, 2021, 5:55:53 AM8/26/21
to Nairobi GNU/Linux User Group
Hey Prince,

Thanks for that data point. Good that it plays well with Linux. Will check it out