Compose emojis

Bonface Munyoki K.

Nov 7, 2021, 1:46:06 AM11/7/21
to nairobi-gnu
You may find this interesting:
https://lunaryorn.com/compose-emojis?pk_campaign=rss-feed:

--
Bonface M. K.
D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F

Alan Orth

Jan 10, 2022, 6:07:04 AM1/10/22
to nairo...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

This is the first time I've heard of the "compose" key. Looks X11 specific? Besides the fact that I've been Wayland only for a few years, I have been using Ctrl-Shift-U to enter Unicode characters for years. You just need to memorize the Unicode character's hex code! ;) Here are some that I use daily:
  • → (2192) for a better version of ->
  • – (2013) aka an "en" dash, for ranges like 0–5 or as a substitute for versus the Russo–Turkish wars
  • — (2014) aka an "em" dash for a prettier approximation of ; or ()
  • ¹ (00b9) for a superscript 1! w00t for footnotes
  • ² (00b2) for a superscript 2!
I haven't memorized any emojis, but since they are characters in the Unicode set, you can type them fine. 🔥 (1f525).

Peace,

Bonface M. K

Jan 11, 2022, 2:30:06 AM1/11/22
to Alan Orth, nairo...@googlegroups.com
Alan Orth <alan...@gmail.com> anaandika:

> Hey,
>
> This is the first time I've heard of the "compose" key. Looks X11 specific?
> Besides the fact that I've been Wayland only for a few years, I have been
> using Ctrl-Shift-U to enter Unicode characters for years. You just need to
> memorize the Unicode character's hex code! ;) Here are some that I use
> daily:
>
> - → (2192) for a better version of ->
> - – (2013) aka an "en" dash, for ranges like 0–5 or as a substitute for
> *versus* the Russo–Turkish wars
> - — (2014) aka an "em" dash for a prettier approximation of ; or ()
> - ¹ (00b9) for a superscript 1! w00t for footnotes
> - ² (00b2) for a superscript 2!
>
> I haven't memorized any emojis, but since they are characters in the
> Unicode set, you can type them fine. 🔥 (1f525).

Thanks. I wound up just using Emac's emojify-mode
(particularly /emojify-insert-emoji/) which
enables me to insert emojis in unicode without
hassle.

[...]

--
Bonface M. K.
D4F09EB110177E03C28E2FE1F5BBAE1E0392253F (hkp://keys.gnupg.net)
Free Software Activist
Humble GNU Emacs User | Bearer of scheme-y parens
Curator: <https://upbookclub.com> | Twitter: @BonfaceKilz
signature.asc