Software Freedom Day

Benson Muite

Sep 13, 2023, 2:31:47 AM9/13/23
to nairo...@googlegroups.com
This is coming up on Saturday 16 September, see [0]. Would like to do a
virtual event from 15:00eat to 17:00eat, though if there is interest in
a physical meetup, hybrid can be arranged.

Will use Janus[1] for streaming. A link should be sent by Friday.

Proposals for demos and presentations are welcome

In case of no proposals am happy to present:
a) Version control with SVN
b) Version control with Fossil

May also be interesting to hack on:
i) Janus Gateway[1] to produce a Nairobi LUG demo page
ii) OpenBaraza[2]

0) https://www.softwarefreedomday.org/map/index.php?year=2023
1) https://github.com/meetecho/janus-gateway
2) https://sourceforge.net/projects/baraza/

Munyoki Kilyungi

Sep 13, 2023, 1:35:43 PM9/13/23
to Benson Muite, nairo...@googlegroups.com
Benson Muite <benson...@emailplus.org>
aliandika:

> This is coming up on Saturday 16 September, see [0]. Would like to do a
> virtual event from 15:00eat to 17:00eat, though if there is interest in
> a physical meetup, hybrid can be arranged.

+1 for a physical meet-up. I wonder what other
folk think about this.

> Will use Janus[1] for streaming. A link should be sent by Friday.
>
> Proposals for demos and presentations are welcome

I can do a presentation on some 15 minute
presentation on some DSL I've been working---and
improving---on for the past couple of months.
Proposals should be sent as a reply to this right?

> In case of no proposals am happy to present:
> a) Version control with SVN

I wonder. Sorry for my lack of research, but why
would someone be interested in version contro in
SVN and ...

> b) Version control with Fossil

... Fossil over Git. But if you'll be presenting,
hey, no spoilers!

> May also be interesting to hack on:
> i) Janus Gateway[1] to produce a Nairobi LUG demo page
> ii) OpenBaraza[2]
>
> 0) https://www.softwarefreedomday.org/map/index.php?year=2023
> 1) https://github.com/meetecho/janus-gateway
> 2) https://sourceforge.net/projects/baraza/

Nice! Thanks for the shares.

--
(Life is like a pencil that will surely run out,
but will leave the beautiful writing of life.)

Benson Muite

Sep 14, 2023, 9:09:18 AM9/14/23
to Munyoki Kilyungi, nairo...@googlegroups.com
On 9/13/23 20:35, Munyoki Kilyungi wrote:
> Benson Muite <benson...@emailplus.org>
> aliandika:
>
>> This is coming up on Saturday 16 September, see [0]. Would like to do a
>> virtual event from 15:00eat to 17:00eat, though if there is interest in
>> a physical meetup, hybrid can be arranged.
>
> +1 for a physical meet-up. I wonder what other
> folk think about this.
>
>> Will use Janus[1] for streaming. A link should be sent by Friday.
>>
>> Proposals for demos and presentations are welcome
>
> I can do a presentation on some 15 minute
> presentation on some DSL I've been working---and
> improving---on for the past couple of months.
> Proposals should be sent as a reply to this right?

That would be great.
Yes, proposals on this thread.
>> In case of no proposals am happy to present:
>> a) Version control with SVN
>
> I wonder. Sorry for my lack of research, but why
> would someone be interested in version contro in
> SVN and ...

While old, it allows for fine grained permissions controls. It is also
possible to work locally on a folder/sub project without downloading
entire project. It is used for managing KDE translations.
>> b) Version control with Fossil
>>

> ... Fossil over Git. But if you'll be presenting,
> hey, no spoilers!

It seems good for self hosted projects without a huge number of
contributors - integrated chat system and wiki. Maybe something to use
for the LUG.

Benson Muite

Sep 16, 2023, 8:04:33 AM9/16/23
to nairo...@googlegroups.com
Join link:

https://kibonyekikubwakibuluu.kichakatokizito.solutions/rooms/vav-a1s-pnk-jfh/join

Still debugging Janus setup as can be guessed from the link.

Benson Muite

Sep 17, 2023, 11:57:10 AM9/17/23
to nairo...@googlegroups.com
Janus finally works: