Student Portal for KU

Samuel Muiruri

Feb 27, 2013, 4:25:46 AM2/27/13
to gdg-...@googlegroups.com, gdg-kenyatt...@googlegroups.com, nai...@googlegroups.com
I'm designing a Student Portal using Django, the reasons is the current student portal for KU made in ASP NET has a lot of issues including you can't use the site in Linux or an android phone... it's not user friendly and because of this majority if not all the students tend to end up registering for courses in the computer lab.

I'm looking for some feedback on what's needed on the site, what you might like it to look like.

Moses Katembu

Feb 27, 2013, 5:52:38 AM2/27/13
to nai...@googlegroups.com, gdg-...@googlegroups.com, gdg-kenyatt...@googlegroups.com
Stephen,

When I was in KU as student(2yrs ago) the portal was made of PHP, Javascript and SQL SERVER. Back then the site was very user friendly and accessible from any corner of the world. Even though the code was a bit chunky and undocumented it had a very good integration to ACCPAC. After that came the "ASP NET" program you're talking about. Have never been able to access this system. When I first tried to access it the IP was mapped to local area network and not exposed(tunneled) for outside access.
I dont have IE to test, but when you say the student have to register in the computer lab it means the site is still inaccessible from outside network. You need to test this before embarking on redesigning the portal. A simple index.html page will work magic.

On Using django:
Have divided this to technology aspect and User Interface features that I think might be necessary.
Technology Aspect:
  • Make sure you have already dedicated UNIX server before you embark on this otherwise you may start a cool project and end up being told to host it on window server hosting accounting system.Even if you decide to use VM this might be a pain in the ass unless they have upgraded the server to super computer like.
  • Consider they might also want you to integrate the system with the Accounting system. Am not sure if there REST APIs for this on the accounting software end.
  • The django models structure like might give you hard time when exporting the existing SQL SERVER DATA.

PORTAL UI  Features

  • Profile page  A student should be able to Edit Password, Email, Telephone and maybe Profile Picture. Student name and Admission number are vital Information that should be left to the administrator to update.
  • Exam time table: Student should be able to view exam time table for units registered.
  • Fees statement
  • Exam Results (be able to view per semester)
  • Register Units
  • Register Hostel
  • Maybe notification board  for news and events

* I would recommend you use a responsive HTML CSS framework like bootstrap so that the site is adaptive for mobile too.

That's my 1% thinking. Am at your disposal in-case you need more info and clarity.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:25 PM, Samuel Muiruri <muiruri...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm designing a Student Portal using Django, the reasons is the current student portal for KU made in ASP NET has a lot of issues including you can't use the site in Linux or an android phone... it's not user friendly and because of this majority if not all the students tend to end up registering for courses in the computer lab.

I'm looking for some feedback on what's needed on the site, what you might like it to look like.

Regards,

Moses

Mzoori Are You?
github: katembu
twitter: mkatembu
skype: katembu

Samuel Muiruri

Feb 27, 2013, 9:12:54 AM2/27/13
to gdg-...@googlegroups.com, gdg-kenyatt...@googlegroups.com, nai...@googlegroups.com

Eric Karani

Sep 14, 2015, 4:12:49 AM9/14/15
to Nairobi Python Users Group, gdg-...@googlegroups.com, gdg-kenyatt...@googlegroups.com

Hey Samuel and the rest,
I just wanted to know where you at with the student portal in Django
thanks