Subtitles

Toccara Delacerda

8:20 AM (2 hours ago) 8:20 AM
to naewhimazor

Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

No, Dropbox does not yet show subtitles, even if they are embedded into the video files. A video with embedded subtitles can display in any modern video player, such as VLC, but no, Dropbox does not yet support this. I work at a university and this poses an accessibility issue for us. We can't use Dropbox to share and collaborate around video content because our mission is to make our content accessible to all students and faculty, regardless of their disability or background.

Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

YET I'm still unable to read subtitles for regular videos on my Dropbox, just the same way as on my Macbook when the .vtt or .srt subtitle file is located in the same folder with the identical name of the matching video.

Thanks for posting here on the Dropbox Community and thank you all very much for your feedback on subtitles. It seems like there is a combined will to make this happen among the people who have posted on this thread so I would highly recommend that someone posts it as a feature request over on our Share an idea board, if everyone who has commented here voted for it it could start some good momentum!

Thanks for mentioning Dropbox Replay @shinbeth, I think this is a really good example of how an idea can go through the Share an idea process and become a feature if there is enough demand for it. Just out of curiosity, have you been using Replay, and do you find having the subtitles in there has been a helpful addition? Also, just so you're aware, we recently launched a Dropbox Replay where Replay users can connect with each other and some members of the Replay team, so if you do have any more ideas or feedback we'd love to hear from you over there.

It would be super helpful for my team if .SRT subtitle files were supported in Dropbox Replay. Almost all of our projects use subtitles and it's hard to convince my team on Replay without some sort of subtitle/caption support. It's also important for accessibility standards. Lots of reasons to support captions.

Weird... I can upload them to the video, it tells me they'll only be available on that particular version of the video (cool by me) it says they're in there, that they're selected/active. Still nothing shows on screen.

In the files tool, you can add captions or subtitles in multiple languages to videos with advanced features turned on. This will make your videos more accessible for visitors who cannot hear the audio or who speak a different language. Each visitor can toggle captions on or off depending on their preferences.

@PamCotton I think the key question here, is how to we have Subtitles automatically play when a video starts. Currently someone needs to turn on the Captions/subtitles on the video rather than them just playing automatically

Hi @PamCotton thank you a lot for your detailed reply. Is it possible to keep subtitles on automatically while watching the video or the user would need to turn them on himself/herself?
While testing subtitles on the video, I have noticed, that when the video plays, the subtitles will not appear, until I will click on options on the video.

Best,
Tatiana

I'm experimenting with uploading .mp4 videos directly to Squarespace rather than embedding YouTube/Vimeo videos. It works fine but there doesn't seem to be any way to add a caption file, and the video player doesn't include closed caption options when you click on the little gear icon. When I look at the code, it seems that Squarespace includes a for captions, but it's empty.

I thought I'd try uploading a caption file to Squarespace's CDN and then use a code block with and tags to create a player (thusly: -US/docs/Web/Guide/Audio_and_video_delivery/Adding_captions_and_subtitles_to_HTML5_video) but before I go about reinventing the wheel ... does anyone have experience with adding subtitles/captions to an uploaded (not embedded) video in Squarespace?

I'm experimenting with uploading .mp4 videos directly to Squarespace. It works fine but there doesn't seem to be any way to add a caption file, and the video player doesn't include closed caption options when you click on the little gear icon.

Hi CPiu94 - I'm wondering if you were ever able to add captions to your videos? Did that HTML code work? I'm building a course in SS, and need my videos to have captions - were you able to figure this out? If so, would you mind telling me how? Thank you so much. I'm totally stuck.

when will captions and subtitles be available on squarespace? I'm hoping soon as I'm about to launch my online course and it'll be such a help, do you know any time frame when this will be available or do we need to opt for a different platform

I've faced a similar issue myself. Best solution I can think of is to use the built in Transcribe feature on Microsoft Word, set the Microphone setting on your PC to Stereo MIx and then play the videos into it, it then uploads the audio only to OneDrive and transcribes it within about a minute or so (for a 2 minute video).

I've tested this on a couple of my online courses and this seems to work quite well as I can then paste the transcript into the HTML page holding the video, it isn't captions but seems to be the next best thing.

Hello - curious if there are any updates of SS offering closed captioning with uploaded videos - or if there is a CSS code solve? I am building out an online course and my client wants to purchase the Pro Plan for Digital Products - but without a closed caption setting - SquareSpace is skipping a critical step for fair accessibility. Would hope this is something they are prioritizing.

Hello! Following up again re: Closed Captioning. My client purchased the Pro Plan for Digital Products and we are deep in an Online Course creation. Does anyone have a lead on when SS will be rolling out closed captioning for videos uploaded natively to the platform? Again feels like a big miss / BIG opportunity for digital content and online courses and technically without it, SS is not meeting Accessibility Standards for Online Courses.

Hello! Following up again re: Closed Captioning. My client purchased the Pro Plan for Digital Products and we are deep in a video-heavy Online Course creation. We bought the Pro Plan because of the ability to host unlimited video natively on the platform.

Does anyone have a lead on when SS will be rolling out closed captioning for videos uploaded natively to the platform? Again feels like a big miss / BIG opportunity for digital content and online courses and technically without it, SS is not meeting Accessibility Standards for Online Courses.

I started watching Avatar, the Last Airbender live action TV show in Korean dubs, but I just found out that the dubs on the computer match up with what they are saying, which is much more helpful. There is research that shows that subtitles help with language learning, so it would be important to watch shows with accurate subtitles. value of teletext sub-titles in language learning ELT Journal Oxford Academic

I see this is an old thread and without realizing it was asked/answered I re-asked the question recently and got some great replies. I ended up purchasing the rooster extensions and they worked great for this purpose. There is a little bit of a learning curve for this particular function if you are not already familiar with the tools.

On iPad, when i open a Youtube video with subtitles enabled the subtitles disappear when switching to fullscreen. Is there a get around to regain subtitles in fullscreen? Has a solution been found for this problem?

I tried unchecking 'enable sub-pictures' in the preferences menu, but this removed the subtitle user interface entirely, making it difficult to get subtitles on the occasions I really do want them (foreign films).

In the simple settings menu, go to "Subtitles/OSD" and under "Preferred Subtitle Language," enter none. Subtitles will no longer be displayed unless you ask for them! This works in VLC 2.2.1 and 2.2.4 (windows 7 and 10 respectively) for sure, and probably others too, but I have not tested it beyond those two.

Just wanted to say that you can do this using the "simple" options as well: it's tools / preferences / and then "subtitles/OSD" which is the 4th big button on the left of the preferences menu, right above "input/codecs."

Also, after doing this, then switching to "show settings: all" in the lower left, the "subtitles track ID" that Colonel Panic suggests, is set to -1, not 0, which could be why some folks are having trouble with it. You can manually set this to -1, to achieve the same result. Cheerio!

Subtitles are texts representing the contents of the audio in a film, television show, opera or other audiovisual media. Subtitles might provide a transcription or translation of spoken dialogue. Although naming conventions can vary, captions are subtitles that include written descriptions of other elements of the audio, like music or sound effects. Captions are thus especially helpful to people who are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Subtitles may also add information that is not present in the audio. Localizing subtitles provide cultural context to viewers. For example, a subtitle could be used to explain to an audience unfamiliar with sake that it is a type of Japanese wine. Lastly, subtitles are sometimes used for humor, as in Annie Hall, where subtitles show the characters' inner thoughts, which contradict what they were saying in the audio.

d3342ee215