Development

dale2...@yahoo.com

Aug 30, 2022, 8:17:51 PM8/30/22
to nab...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert,

I read about the developer's plan for other sites in the area; this one was presented as a possibility. I definitely will attend. I use Eastern Supply and this will lead to greater gentrification, because high income folks hire workers and don't do it themselves.

dale

Democracy has to be born anew every generation, and education is its midwife.
   --- J. Dewey

Robert Lauriston

May 4, 2023, 1:35:22 PM5/4/23
to Neighbors of Ashby BART
Nancy Skinner's SB 330, in exchange for a small percentage of moderately affordable units, or a larger percentage of even less affordable units, automatically grants the developers all discretionary elements of the local zoning code.

The only non-discretionary bit of the C-SA development standards is a floor-area ratio of 4.0, which means the building's square footage can be at most four times that of the lot. So there's no height limit. And with the 50% density bonus the FAR is 6.0. If the lot is 13,500 square feet, they can build an 81,000-square-foot building.
2021-08-02_HAA and Density Bonus - Objective Standards.pdf

Zelda Bronstein

May 4, 2023, 4:43:07 PM5/4/23
to nabart+...@googlegroups.com, Neighbors of Ashby BART

Robert, I think the relevant state law is CA's Density Bonus Law, not SB 330, which, in my reading, doesn't address affordable unit bonuses. Zelda

Robert Lauriston

May 4, 2023, 4:49:12 PM5/4/23
to Neighbors of Ashby BART
Nancy Skinner's SB 330 is what eliminated the city's discretion over building height, footprint, setbacks, etc. along Adeline and Shattuck in South Berkeley (i.e., in the C-SA district).

The earlier AB 2345 created the 50% density bonus that increases the floor-area ratio from 4.0 to 6.0, requiring the ZAB to rubber-stamp nine- and ten-story buildings in C-SA.