Institutional Review Board for Mechanical Turk

wajdi zaghouani

Feb 25, 2010, 12:24:26 PM2/25/10
to NAACL 2010 Mechanical Turk Workshop

I was wondering if there is a need for an IRB (Institutional Review
Board) in the case of Amazon Turk work since it is a kind of an
experiement involving human subjects ?

I found this interesting article :

http://behind-the-enemy-lines.blogspot.com/2009/01/mechanical-turk-human-subjects-and-irbs.html

Any hints, experience on how you have dealt with this issue is
welcome.

Wajdi

Chris Callison-Burch

Apr 2, 2010, 2:38:42 PM4/2/10
to NAACL 2010 Mechanical Turk Workshop
I got an exemption from the Institutional Review Board at Johns
Hopkins under Category 2 (Research involving the use of educational
tests (cognitive, diagnostic, aptitude, achievement), survey
procedures, interview procedures or observations of public behavior).
I'll attach my application and our IRB's approval letter to my next
message in case they are useful for other NLP researchers who want to
apply for an IRB exemption for their Mechanical Turk tasks.

Chris Callison-Burch

On Feb 25, 1:24 pm, wajdi zaghouani <waj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is a need for an IRB (Institutional Review
> Board) in the case of Amazon Turk work since it is a kind of an
> experiement involving human subjects ?
>
> I found this interesting article :
>

> http://behind-the-enemy-lines.blogspot.com/2009/01/mechanical-turk-hu...

Chris Callison-Burch

Apr 2, 2010, 2:41:30 PM4/2/10
to naacl-m...@googlegroups.com
A scan of my application is attached, along with our IRB's acceptance letter. --CCB

HIRB-application-for-exemption.pdf
HIRB-approval-letter.pdf

Nitin Madnani

Apr 2, 2010, 2:42:59 PM4/2/10
to naacl-m...@googlegroups.com
Good to hear! Was my IRB app at all useful to you?

- Nitin

Chris Callison-Burch

Apr 2, 2010, 2:46:50 PM4/2/10
to naacl-m...@googlegroups.com
Yes, thanks for the example, Nitin. :-)

I thought that everyone else in the NAACL Workshop might benefit from seeing a full application, in case they have to go through the process themselves.

--Chris

Nitin Madnani

Apr 2, 2010, 3:11:15 PM4/2/10
to naacl-m...@googlegroups.com, naacl-m...@googlegroups.com
I agree. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully this will help avoid any
barriers to the adoption of MTurk for research in university settings.

- Nitin