Handy tips for newbies.

1 view

Carl

Aug 16, 2011, 5:30:54 PM8/16/11
to NMSS SPECIAL EVENTS COMMUNICATORS GROUP
If you are new to the MS-150 and are manning a radio location along
the route I have some suggestions of things to carry with you besides
you're usual radio equipment. You probably have already thought of
the usual folding chair, food and drink. Don't forget insect repellent
and a really good sun screen and protective clothing. You will be
spending a lot of time being exposed and two days of sun burn is not
fun. I wear a safety vest so that I am visible to the riders and the
screwballs in cars who get frustrated by the rider traffic. Make sure
you are visible to everyone. I carry a folding table with me and a
portable pop-up awning. It has been known to rain during the ride. I
carry plastic sheets to cover my radio equipment. I also bring a bike
pump and a couple of patch kits. Not because I need them but you would
be amazed at the number of cyclists who don't bring a pump, patch kit
or spare inner tube. I also have an adjustable wrench and a few
screwdrivers. It usually takes a couple of hours to get assistance
from the roving repair guys so a pump can get them back on the road
quickly. I also carry a small first aid kit. I have gone through band
aids and cleaning wipes every year to treat the usual road rash. Have
a pen and pad to write down the numbers of riders. A car charger for
your cell phone. You will be using it all day. I take a push broom
from my garage and throw it in the car. I have used it during many of
the rides to sweep the sand and dirt off of a corner. If you are
working a corner post sweeping away the sand will prevent many slides
and potential injuries to the riders. The turns near the shore are
always sandy and covered with fine debris. If there is a pothole or
other danger on the apex of a corner that could cause a fall point it
out to the riders and tell them to stay wide or watch the hole,
whatever you need to do to prevent an injury. The riders appreciate
everything you do and will thank you all day long. Most of all wear a
smile and cheer them on. Its not just playing with radios, you are an
ambassador for public service. Have fun!

Skip N2EI

Aug 17, 2011, 8:30:58 PM8/17/11
to NMSS SPECIAL EVENTS COMMUNICATORS GROUP
As a cyclist, I would also recommend a small set of metric allen
wrenches. Most modern bikes use metric hex fittings for all fasteners
in sizes ranging from 2mm through 10 mm.

73, de SKIP N2EI