Boca Do Rio and Reggae Dancehall April 6th

N Street Music

Mar 27, 2013, 9:30:57 PM3/27/13
to n-stree...@googlegroups.com
My dearest folks,
I am really happy to be having Boca Do Rio return to N Street.  We have had some of the best nights with them over the last couple of years.  Also! the return of T-Rosemond and Sky-I with Ital Souls.  The usual guest surprises, mixing band members will be in the cards!
This goes down on April 6th at 9 pm and we'll keep the music going till after midnight.  Drop me a line if you have any questions. Sliding scale $10, refreshments, dancing, new loves blossoming... and the mystical surprise that the night ends from the result of the boogie that goes down!  You'll just have to come if you don't know what it is... never seen anything like it!
Here's the facebook invite if you're into that kinda thing http://www.facebook.com/events/257787907690614/

It's been a busy year and getting along well so I'll give you the run down of shows on the books:
May 4th Bonanza Kings (Western Swing with local all stars) Notorious Shank Bros (Bluegrass with more all stars)
June 6th Lauren Norton, Whiskey Business (Americana night)
Sept 21st Tree-O and Mudlark (Two Trios yuk yuk)
or this facebook site (but only if you're into that kinda thing http://www.facebook.com/NStreetMusic

Big thanks to Autumn and Cameron at KDRT who have become our community radio champions (unofficially, but we officially love you guys) Faiya at KDVS for the nice piece he did with me on Sounds of Africa last week.

Please see this little story my new helper guy Jay Fessler helped put together about how I met Kevin and how Boca Do Rio has become a mainstay at N Street Music.

Would love to see you, and please spread the word to your toe tappin' pals

We often hear that “it’s a small world”, but beyond this cliché usually lies a story that is often lost in the busy bustle, brushed aside by this cheeky phrase. Artists from South America, the Caribbean, the east coast, and the bay area will come together at N Street Cohousing on Saturday April 8th. Boca Do Rio will be performing Brazilian soul music, and Ital Souls will deliver reggae and rocksteady with Haitian T-Rosemond, and hip/hop and dancehall with Sky-I from Martinique. The local artists in Davis are behind this show, perhaps illustrating the power of music and inspiration, the love of entertainment and of bringing people together.
A birthday party filled with UC Davis Ecology students that brought Kevin Welch to N Street in late July 2009. It was clear that his playing was extraordinary and deserved more attention than background music, and the organizer understood this, and reached out to resident sound engineer Toby Seeger to give Kevin some sound reinforcement. Welch was focused on simplicity for the evening, and rather than any elaborate stage setup, the two fell to jamming together late in the evening on the patio. Afterward, Kevin talks of his band Boca Do Rio, and the band is booked for a house concert in early January 2010. The N Street Common House was full that night, and crackled with energy, and seemingly awakened the crowd from the stupor that remained from New Year’s celebrations. The samba and baião, the powerful jazz saxophone of Larry De La Cruz, and the impeccable kit drumming of Scott Johnson kept the dancers floating, breathless and wanting more; Boca Do Rio instantly earns a biannual residency. Welch visits Brazil, to maintain his musical and cultural study, and helps to bring Alex Clatayud, a percussionist and panderio player extraordinaire to northern California. As N Street Music emerges in Davis so does Boca Do Rio. The trajectory of Boca Do Rio steepens with higher profile gigs in the bay area, top headlining features locally, all the while compelling a dedicated following who loves to dance, enjoy each other’s energy and the world class sound and musicianship of Boca Do Rio.
Meanwhile, the friendship of promoter and artist blossoms, and the discussions of use of Jazz in groove music between Welch and Seeger become inspiration for the latter. Long time friend and bass player Daniel Korenblum introduces Seeger to vocalist T-Rosemond, the first winner of Haiti’s version of American Idol (Digicel Rising Stars), singing songs to the plight of street children in one of the poorest countries in the world. He leaves Haiti on the tails of the 2009 Earthquake to come to the bay area to pursue a music career in the US, and upon meeting Seeger tells him “I would only make music from love”, a statement that resonates and brings the two together with Korenblum and Ital Souls. A mutual affinity for Davis develops as T-Rosemond frequents the I-House open-mic shows and N Street Music shows while working with Seeger in the studio.
In serendipitous style singer and rapper Emilian Deschamps aka Sky-I meets Ital Souls at a Creole night in Berkeley, a live production of an original song is recorded featuring both vocalists and creates a strong connection. The band and Sky-I build a set of originals, classic Jamaican instrumentals and dancehall prevalence that will be featured in April at N Street. Show starts at 9pm $10 sliding scale, 716 N Street Davis, CA at the N Street Common House.
www.bocadorio.com www.italsouls.com www.nstreetcohousing.org
###