Quad Pod Launch Successful today

Monroe

Jun 6, 2009, 8:53:56 PM6/6/09
to N-Prize
We launched Dave Hein's Quad Pod today at an ARRG event! It was the
star of the show! Great job Dave! Anyway the Quad Pod is a solid fuel
lander that runs the basis of our guidance system thus far. It is
really cool to watch a solid rocket hover!

I will be posting that test this weekend as well I hope :) I'm
getting better at videos.

Monroe

Monroe

Jun 7, 2009, 5:10:31 PM6/7/09
to N-Prize
I have uploaded the Video for the Quad Pod
Does anyone know of a video editing software that will let me zoom in
during the edit process? So I can get a close up on the QP in flight?

Monroe

MisterQED

Jun 7, 2009, 5:47:27 PM6/7/09
to N-Prize
Where did you upload the video?

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

N-prize

Jun 7, 2009, 5:50:00 PM6/7/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
It's on the Prometheus site.  The stability is good.
=======================
Paul H. Dear,
Chief Optimist.

The N-Prize,
PO Box 1133,
Sawston,
Cambridge CB22 3WB
England.

The sender of this email is not responsible.
=======================

Monroe

Jun 7, 2009, 5:57:36 PM6/7/09
to N-Prize
That was the F-10 version.
We are now moving to the QP III H-25 version.
With more control of the platform. In other words it will have
programed flight as well as remote or GPS control.

Monroe

Monroe

Jun 7, 2009, 6:04:13 PM6/7/09
to N-Prize

Richard Hauser

Jun 8, 2009, 9:07:23 AM6/8/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
Very cool, what kind of gyro does he use? MEMs, laser or a physical gyro?

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

--
Sent from my mobile device

Monroe

Jun 8, 2009, 10:01:57 PM6/8/09
to N-Prize
It is a sparkfun MEM's I'm working on Crossbow to get a more stable
system and looking for Laser gyros for Dave. (I haven't told him yet)

Monroe

MisterQED

Jun 8, 2009, 10:26:19 PM6/8/09
to N-Prize
Did you ever think about using a physical gyro?
I've been thinking that a small physical gyro could be spun up at
launch with pressurized air and then no or only a tiny electric motor
to overcome friction to keep up speed. Gyros are actually pretty good
energy storage devices. I think a small one could be marketed. You
probably already have the machinery to make one...

It would be heavier than a MEMs, but you might save that in power for
the processors. Just an idea.

I can't imagine anything more than MEMs is going to come under budget
unless you are going to recover it.

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

Monroe

Jun 9, 2009, 1:59:52 AM6/9/09
to N-Prize
I don't know QED I'm a pretty good scrounger.
There is lot's of stuff on the net about gyros. I personally like the
torpedo type of gyro they are very compact. I know where a few are and
they are brass.

Monroe

MisterQED

Jun 9, 2009, 5:19:56 PM6/9/09
to N-Prize
I'm not doubting your scrounging, but even if you can get a torpedo
gyro for free, it will still probably cost you a lot in the long run.
As you know grams of mass need almost kilos of fuel to reach orbit, so
although the torpedo gyro may be a fine piece of machinery, it's bound
to weigh way more than necessary for your purpose. I am unfamiliar
with them but I found a picture on line and it looks like a great
paper weight. http://www.gyroscopes.org/gallery/54.jpg
If you can find one, you'd be better off with an artificial horizon as
they have been used successfully in the past for this purpose. The
tricky part then is powering it as they either run on engine vacuum or
high voltages used in aircraft.

I think you'd be better off with something even smaller and lighter
than an artificial horizon interfaced using parts scavenged from a
computer mouse to make something that takes very little power and
gives your guidance computer exactly what it needs to do it's job.
Just start with a very small high speed gyro suspended in as
frictionless a way as possible powered by an electric motor with just
slightly more torque than is lost through friction. Add on the
optical wheels and other electronics from a mouse and you'd make
something that you might be able to sell for other purposes.

My present plan doesn't need a gyro, but creating one would be a good
backup plan, so I'd always hoped on making one one of these days.

Actually thinking about it, if you are a really good scrounger, maybe
you can get the gyro from a pair of gyro stabilized binoculars, that
would definitely be the best.

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

Monroe

Jun 10, 2009, 2:46:11 AM6/10/09
to N-Prize
Some cameras have them too. They are very interesting and the V2
system was all mechanical. I doubt with Dave doing guidance we will
use anything other than MEM's or Laser gyros but they are cool little
devices. I had one I took from a torpedo for many years but finaily
lost it to an ex-girlfriend I think.

Monroe

Monroe

Jun 10, 2009, 2:47:46 AM6/10/09
to N-Prize
Oh hey that is a pick of the very one I had how intresting.

Monroe

N-prize

Jun 10, 2009, 5:15:15 AM6/10/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
Monroe,

        I think you may have had the only relationship in the world that ended with a girlfriend taking a torpedo gyro system with her when she left.  Usually it's CDs...

P.

Monroe

Jun 10, 2009, 9:43:06 AM6/10/09
to N-Prize
Ha ha ha ha ! Well I did leave in a kinda hurry!

Monroe

Rob Goldsmith

Jun 10, 2009, 2:25:36 PM6/10/09
to N-Prize
"I think you may have had the only relationship in the world
that ended with a girlfriend taking a torpedo gyro system with her
when she left. Usually it's CDs... "

funniest thing ive ever seen written down! hahaha

Steve Bradley

Jun 10, 2009, 2:47:42 PM6/10/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com, ErHa...@aol.com
Not THAT funny. Probably BS.

Erv, you really should subscribe to this site. You wouldn't believe the
things that are said here (take it all with a grain of salt, ESPECIALLY
whatever monroe says. I hardly ever write anything, but it makes for
interesting eavesdropping.

Steve

Monroe

Jun 10, 2009, 3:51:59 PM6/10/09
to N-Prize
I guess you missed the photo of our NSE launch and some of the guy's
on it I have been talking about forever :) I remember the comment that
I don't really have a team too. Truthfully there's more to me than has

Steve Bradley

Jun 10, 2009, 11:37:20 PM6/10/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey, if you don't pat yourself on the back now and then, who will?

Jun 11, 2009, 1:02:38 AM6/11/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
Monroe,

I can't wish you anything but good luck, buddy. You're certainly the most
prolific poster I've ever encountered, and that has to count for something.
I just can't help being a meany now and then.

Steve