QPIII Motor Test.

Monroe

Jun 27, 2009, 5:46:44 AM6/27/09
to N-Prize
Well the load cell works great and I'll post a link for it's
construction soon. The baseline went fine and we got good data and a
nice motor profile with a comercial motor. Our first end burnner
CATO'ed however and that ended the day for testing with some dammage
to the load cell. That was my first cato and I must say I don't like
them. I believe there was just enough space (very little) between the
motor housing and the cardboard tube I cast the motor in. The end
piece went into the CB tube and had an o-ring the nozzle was inserted
into the CB tube also with an o-ring, The gas pressure must have
inflated the CB tube and the flame hit the bottom were there was a
small air gap between the grain and the end cap and lit the other end
forcing everything out the ends of the housing. The flam may have lit
the sides of the grain somewhere just past half way down as well
because a protion of the CB tube was still in the housing along with
the end piece (it blew out the center of the end piece) Sooo we
rebuild and re-test. I don't want to post the CATO video but I will
just because.

Monroe

Maxwell

Jun 27, 2009, 8:32:34 AM6/27/09
to N-Prize
Well, even a failure is informative - looking forward to the video! P

Richard Hauser

Jun 27, 2009, 12:37:27 PM6/27/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
Hey, NASA cato'd a bunch, I've seen video, so I wouldn't have expected
your chances to be much better. On the good side it sounds like you
had good monitoring and safety precausions so I'm sure you learned a
lot even though it wasn't exactly what you wanted to learn from the
day.

Congratulations,
MisterQED
Team Daedalus

PS too bad you didn't have one of those high speed cameras, I'm sure
that would have made even better video.
--
Sent from my mobile device

Monroe

Jun 28, 2009, 10:53:08 AM6/28/09
to N-Prize
Right the high speed camera would be very interesting.
I have a better video from the up close camera I'm just waiting for
Paul R. to bring me the special cable for the camera.

Monroe