Ion drive balloon to orbit

MisterQED

Jul 11, 2009, 9:03:38 AM7/11/09
to N-Prize
I posted this over at the HB, but the more I think about this the more
I think this isn't just a crazy idea...

Start with a LARGE spherical Helium balloon with a small but high Isp
ion drive. Power the engine with a ground based microwave power link
by making the top third of the balloon from mylar to create a giant
parabolic antenna pointed towards the ground and focused on a
microwave receiver hanging inside the balloon. Float the system to
30+km as a balloon then send power to the balloon from a large ground
based microwave transmitting station. Use that power to fire the
engine which will ionize the He from the balloon and then accelerate
it to high velocities electrically and eject it out of the bottom as
an ion rocket to lift the balloon the rest of the way to GEO or space.

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

MisterQED

Jul 11, 2009, 9:06:16 AM7/11/09
to N-Prize
I should mention that this is very derivative of what JP Aerospace
wants to do, but I never heard them mention the microwave link.

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

N-prize

Jul 11, 2009, 12:14:10 PM7/11/09
to n-p...@googlegroups.com
That, if I may say so, is a neat idea.
=======================
Paul H. Dear,
Chief Optimist.

The N-Prize,
PO Box 1133,
Sawston,
Cambridge CB22 3WB
England.

The sender of this email is not responsible.

Monroe

Jul 12, 2009, 1:20:32 AM7/12/09
to N-Prize
Ok, I really agree with microwave transmission of power.

I met Charles Pooley today and saw the first unteathered flight of the
Unreasonable Rocket! today.
I also saw the Flowmetrics lox/ecoJP8 that was awesome! It shreaded at
Mach.but I call it a sucess anyway it was Awesome as well.

Monroe