Rocket Manual for Amateurs (1960)

MisterQED

Jun 17, 2009, 1:13:36 PM6/17/09
to N-Prize
For those like me who had never heard of this book before, and
especially if you are looking into solid rockets, this should be
interesting. It seems to be a legend in the field for several
reasons, but most notably the inherent danger involved in following
the instructions included. I haven't read it yet, but there are long
passages included on first aid and treatment for such things as
shrapnel. The $.75 paperback is now long out of print and is a
collectors item going for $150-$200 if you can find it.

In any case, it seemed worth mentioning here, and for those who
haven't read it, here is a link:
http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/2766/95/

Be safe everyone,

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

Monroe

Jun 17, 2009, 3:10:44 PM6/17/09
to N-Prize
Very good QED!
I like this guy! I like the way he thinks and he's still right today.
I like how he outlines the organization and outline on how to proceed.
I can't agree more with this guy's philosophy. This guy was really
SMART! I suggest you follow his advice to the letter! I'm shocked
actually.

Monroe

Monroe

Jun 17, 2009, 6:10:05 PM6/17/09
to N-Prize
Two of my most favorite books are from 1960 The golden book of
chemistry (baned in the U.S.) and The American Scientific Amateur
Scientist. The one with the homemade particle accellerator in it how
cool were thoes books! I know why they baned the GBOC because I blew
my face off a couple years after I read it :) I was 10 or 11 and I
lived thoes books over and over. I did most of the experiments too!
Except I out grew the GBOC just like it said to :) and now there are
three. These 3 books hold the key to everything for a kid like me.

Monroe

If only I haden't discovered girls!

MisterQED

Jun 18, 2009, 2:19:22 PM6/18/09
to N-Prize
Is the book actually banned?
Do we ban books in the US?

A quick check finds that it seems to be banned from libraries, but
available on the web!
http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/08/05/banned-book-the-golden-book-of-chemistry-experiments.htm
http://chemistry.about.com/library/goldenchem.pdf

Don't blow your face off again Monroe.

MisterQED
Team Daedalus

Monroe

Jun 18, 2009, 3:56:56 PM6/18/09
to N-Prize
Yep! In fact It's the only book besides the Arcainist cookbook that I
can think of that was banned. The books are still in the library of
congress but banning prohibits their being printed. That’s all as I
understand it but I could be wrong you'd have to check it out.

Monroe

I have a pdf of the books if you want them.

Monroe

Jun 18, 2009, 4:34:56 PM6/18/09
to N-Prize
Wow! Thinking about it I had a garage full of this stuff. Now you
get the idea about how I became such a scrounger My first Florence
flask were light bulbs that I used a file on below the socket. I
remember the first condenser I got (I always wanted one) I saved up
for 3 months to get the $38 dollars to get it! I went around the
neighborhood collecting pop bottles and milk bottles and returning
them for the deposit to get the money. I was so proud to have it I
remember that like it was yesterday. That’s how I got to attend
collage at 13 an old guy (must have been 25) saw my lab and freaked
out he got my mom and dads permission to take me! I wish I could
remember his name so I could thank him. He got me enrolled. I have to
say it was a pretty weird experience for a 12-13 year old. I remember
I was searching around on the mainframe and I found a file called
"Jane" and printed it out; it was an Ascii of a NUDE woman on a
calendar! The next day the file was gone so I put a damper on somebody
day! I played Lander way to much I think it was one of the first games
it beat the heck out of Pong that was the only other game I knew of.
Anyway bet you guys are really interested in that.
Later

Monroe