What's going on

cooldude3659

Dec 14, 2008, 12:24:12 PM12/14/08
to WOT: Web of Trust
hey everybody! I can now say EVERYBODY since there's no longer just a
few people. There's twenty!!

Ah, the members. It appears that the newsletter was indeed an
effective tool in getting members to join, as we now have 20. Although
one might think that with an add-on downloaded so many times, twenty
isn't that many, the fact is not that many people take the time to be
a big part of communities, whether it is because of a busy schedule,
or just not wanting to.
So, I thank all of you who have joined, and greatly appreciate your
participation. Welcome aboard!

As for what's new: I made a forum post a couple days ago about
suggestions on ways to stay safe in addition to WOT, but no one
participated. So please do, lol. I have several possible ideas for a
cool project we can do with that. In addition, some ideas can be added
in the WOT Wiki.

If you are unsure what to put, see Bobjam's page on Security best
practices at http://groups.google.com/group/mywot/web/security-best-practices

Or, see garrets page on browser security: Beyond WOT at
http://groups.google.com/group/mywot/web/security-best-practices.

Both of these are prime examples of other ways to stay safe in
addition to WOT

Try to make the tips simple, but effective, so that others will want
to try them. That will aid in the upcoming project.

Next, the WOT Wiki. In case you're wondering, it will be a combination
of most of our pages, helping people stay safe online in general, and
how to use WOT, that is editable by any user. Currently, all of the
individual pages are also editable, so feel free to add your
contributions. Note that the Wiki is NOT the same as the Wikipedia
article.
Currently, we have Bobjam's and Garret's pages as mentioned above, a
page explaining what WOT is, how it works, an FAQ, an informational
page on how to do everything from downloading WOT to turning on the
colorblind version, and even a glossary on technical terms. The forum
post about posting other ways to stay safe as of now is what will most
likely complete the WOT Wiki. If you have any other ideas for
additions, or want to make changes to any of the pages, do it fast. by
going to the pages section of this group.

Finally, taking this group even further. (I know I say this every
time) The idea of this group is that users are the primary, or even
soul contributors, and can work together on projects, and more to
improve WOT. That leaves us with unlimited options and possibilities.
We already are working on a WOT Wiki, and now have a chatroom (see the
pages section). What else do you think we can do? I think perhaps have
a twitter or blog (or both) for this group, so that every time
something is new, it can be posted.

Another project I think we can do is see of the people who joined this
group, is it the people with the highest activity score, the people
with the most posts in the main WOT forum, or something else?
There's tons of other projects we can do as well, like finding which
is more accurate: Norton safeweb or mcafee site advisor, determining
what makes a website yellow (usually), or even whether or not the
average WOT user uses windows, mac, or linux!

Feel free to make suggestions on anything mentioned here, and PLEASE,
reply to the thing about ways to stay safe in addition to WOT.