New WOT google group project!

1 view

cooldude3659

Dec 30, 2008, 12:29:03 PM12/30/08
to WOT: Web of Trust
As many of you know, part of what we do here in the WOT google group,
is work on projects, such as the WOT Wiki (which is still in the
making). Now, we have a new project. To uncover what is the best
security add-on to go along with WOT, that EVERYONE will like.
Here's how it works.

Everyone who's participating is to try at least three new add-ons
before making their decision. EVEN IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING ELSE IN MIND.
I want everyone to have a wide range of options to choose from. You
can pick from one you already had in the beginning, but to make sure
everyone can make a fully informed decision, I want everyone to have
at least three new ones to try in addition.
To enter, leave a reply to this message.
But how do we decide who wins? Simple. Rating replies.
If you'll notice, you can rate a post from 1-5 stars, by looking
toward the bottom of the post, next to rate this post, clicking the 1,
2, 3, 4, or 5th star. The top five will be picked for a tiebreaker
afterward. Note that when rating, you must rate at LEAST three, or
your rating will not count. Also, no matter how many you rate, you
CANNOT rate more than two one star.

You have until January 31 to submit your add-on and until February 10
to rate posts. Then, the top five will compete in a tiebreaker until
February 21.

Note that THIS ISN'T A CONTEST! It's just a project to see what add-on
people like best. The person who submitted the add-on doesn't get any
prize, nor will the person be mentioned in the WOT newsletter. Just
the add-on. Some people, however, I know, may feel compelled to make
their add-on win. That's why you cannot rate more than two posts one
star. In addition to this, to prevent people from making multiple
accounts, everyone now must request an invite to join, and will be
asked their WOT username. In addition, their IP address will be
recorded. If anyone joins twice, they will be disqualified. (note,
phantazm already had two accounts, so I will have to remove one of his
accounts from the group, but he is not disqualified.)

Also, one more thing. This project isn't to find a super complex add-
on that only some people will want to use. We want to find an add-on
that everyone will be willing to use, so everyone can stay safe
online.

cooldude3659

Jan 24, 2009, 3:25:30 PM1/24/09
to WOT: Web of Trust
After looking at quite a few add-ons, I think the best one is download
statusbar, an add-on for Firefox that lets you completely control your
downloads. It can also be tweaked to open up your virus scanner so you
can scan a file after every download, and you can choose exactly what
you want the downloads to do and how they are displayed.

If you agree that download statusbar is the best add-on in addition to
WOT, rate this post accordingly. The posts with the highest ratings
will be voted on again later to determine the best add-on to go along
with WOT.

On Dec 30 2008, 10:29 am, cooldude3659