I made a new Wiki page called "Security Best Practices"

BobJam

Nov 25, 2008, 8:07:33 PM11/25/08
to WOT: Web of Trust
This may overlap some of some of the stuff said in "Bowser Security:
beyond WOT", but the editing required to integrate it was
questionable, so I just made a new page out of it.

First draft, so edit away!

Click on http://groups.google.com/group/mywot/web/security-best-practices
- or copy & paste it into your browser's address bar if that doesn't
work.

cooldude3659

Nov 26, 2008, 4:43:42 PM11/26/08
to WOT: Web of Trust
I really like the page. That point about outlook is not something I
would have thought of, (partly because I dont use outlook, but rather
use gmail) but many people who do use outlook should know about that.
The only thing is maybe briefly mention that firewalls can't fully
protect you at the top. Some people think they can do ANYTHING on the
web because they have a firewall, which is a common myth. I'll leave
that editing to you however

cot...@googlemail.com

Mar 24, 2009, 7:20:35 PM3/24/09
to WOT: Web of Trust
I have two email accounts at mail.com
One I use for registration of potential 'dodgy' sites as well as
others that may send spam. If I want to keep them then I simply login
and change my email address.
The second I use with a complete alias for the purpose of registering
on possible 'bad' sites which then allows me to tiptoe through using
an IP Hider, and I gather more information that what one would
normally gather on the surface.....it works for me LOL
Care and diligence have to be kept in mind when visiting unknown
sites / forums and one should have an open mind without preconceived
ideas or bias to give an honest review.

BobJam

Mar 24, 2009, 9:37:29 PM3/24/09
to WOT: Web of Trust
Colin,

Could you rephrase this in more detail for a dunce like me (GOM), and
particularly the part about the IP Hider.

Like how would I use this mechanism with my gmail acount? Or do I
need to open up accounts at mail.com (I'm not familiar with that . . .
is it a free web based client?)

cot...@googlemail.com

Mar 26, 2009, 1:43:29 PM3/26/09
to WOT: Web of Trust
Hey BobJam,

mail.com is completely free, just set up and account with any username
that is available, great way of registering for dodgy forums and
websites :-)

IPhider.org allows you to surf anonymously around many sites, as does
allanonymity.com which has a little tool called Anonymous Friend:
http://shuurl.com/V3841

I have been trying this one for a little while as the owners have
asked me to review it for them, and so far it's pretty good.

Using any IPHider, your IP address would be completely different to
your real IP address. I'm in the UK, but using IP hiders I can appear
to be in the US, Europe, Australia, Asia, just about anywhere really.
Sometimes these steps are necessary when stepping into the unknown,
which I seem to have a habit of doing LOL