New trip planner beta up

Kieran Huggins

Dec 9, 2009, 8:33:25 PM12/9/09
to MyTTC
Hey all,

So over the last year or so Kevin and I have been playing around with
writing our own trip planner called "Iroquois" to take the place of
Graphserver at MyTTC.ca

It's still a work in progress as we iron out a few bugs, but the beta
is online @ http://beta.myttc.ca

We'd love it if you'd kick the tires!

The new developer API has been partially documented on our developers
page, but we haven't documented the trip planner API quite yet. We're
on it ;-) Link: http://beta.myttc.ca/developers

Features & Caveats:
---------------------------

Firefox 3.5 users (in Toronto) may notice the w3c geolocation
feature :-)

You may experience the odd "502 Bad Gateway" error as we've only spun
up one merb to handle the beta - if that happens just hit refresh.

The planner may go up and down as we pull new versions onto the
server.

Some trip options are not as distinct as they should be as we've
disabled some of the "distinctness" algorithm code for bug-hunting.

"Wheelchair" & "reduced mobility" accessibility is in the works, but
Kevin and I have to go map all the stations first. We're aiming to do
it this weekend, but there are 69 of them, and some are pretty big.

---------------------------

We'd love to hear any and all feedback! As usual, you can either post
here or use the feedback box on the site.

Cheers,
Kieran & Kevin

Robin Chauhan

Dec 10, 2009, 3:46:18 PM12/10/09
to MyTTC
Is the trip planner open source?

On Dec 9, 5:33 pm, Kieran Huggins <kieran.hugg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> So over the last year or so Kevin and I have been playing around with
> writing our own trip planner called "Iroquois" to take the place of
> Graphserver at MyTTC.ca
>
> It's still a work in progress as we iron out a few bugs, but the beta
> is online @http://beta.myttc.ca

Kieran Huggins

Dec 10, 2009, 10:17:43 PM12/10/09
to MyTTC
Hey Robin,

We've developed MyTTC more akin to Google Transit - it's built as an
open service, but is not an open source project itself. Unlike Google
Transit, we _do_ offer full API to all the functionality of Iroquois
so you can build 3rd party apps directly on top of it. The API
includes departure times, geo-location & local information, and, of
course, route planning in html, json & xml.

Kevin and I have revisited the open source discussion regularly over
the last two years, and our decision so far is that open source is not
_yet_ the right model for Iroquois. Our decision to keep the source
closed for the time being is mostly based on the following points:

There are other open source trip planning libraries out there already
(not the least of which is Graphserver, which we've used in production
for well over a year).

We're a small, focused company currently without the resources to
_responsibly_ steward a project of this size & complexity.

We also need to use a superset of the GTFS to get the desired result
set, so the data needs to be specially curated & modified for each
implementation. Curating & extending this data is non-trivial.

We do plan to release both the source code & an overview of the
Iroquois algorithm at some point, just not in the near future. In the
interim, all our data is open source (including SQL & GTFS dumps of
all the data we've curated) and our API is freely accessible.

Cheers,
Kieran

Robin Chauhan

Dec 11, 2009, 3:25:01 PM12/11/09
to my...@googlegroups.com
Fair enough.

Will you share any level of information about what type of algorithm you use for routing?  I am very happy to see multiple route options.

=R

Robin R Chauhan
CEO, Pathway Intelligence Inc
ro...@pathwayintelligence.com
Office: 778-588-6217 Ext. 201
Cell: 604-865-0517
Fax: 778-588-1042
http://pathwayintelligence.com/
information or constitute non-public information. Any use of this
information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
reply to the sender and delete this information from your system.
Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission
by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

Joe Hughes

Dec 11, 2009, 5:47:49 PM12/11/09
to my...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Kieran Huggins
<kieran....@gmail.com> wrote:
> We also need to use a superset of the GTFS to get the desired result
> set, so the data needs to be specially curated & modified for each
> implementation. Curating & extending this data is non-trivial.

I'd encourage you to propose your "superset" extensions to the
official gtfs-changes group, so that in the future there's some chance
of offloading some of that curation work to agencies/data publishers.

Cheers,
Joe