TTCupdates

Brian Gilham

Dec 24, 2008, 12:12:04 AM12/24/08
to MyTTC
Hey everybody. I just wanted to let you all in on a little project of
mine that launched today called TTCupdates. It's not a very
imaginative name, I know, but ti's a neat little app that is getting
some attention. Basically, it pulls updates on TTC service
disruptions, shortens them if necessary, and posts them to a Twitter
account I've set up. I've also provided a mobile-friendly page with
the last five alerts for those of us without an iPhone ;-)

You can find the Twitter account at: http://twitter.com/ttcupdates/
The site for the project is at: http://briangilham.com/ttcupdates/

I'd more than appreciate any tips or suggestions you guys may have! I
receive all of the e-mails from this group, but I'm also available at
m...@briangilham.com if you'd like to talk privately.

Cheers!

Kevin Branigan

Dec 29, 2008, 10:26:43 PM12/29/08
to MyTTC
Very cool, I read about it on Torontoist. Good stuff.
Is Twitter sms working in Canada yet?

Where exactly do you get the data? I can't find anything on the new
ttc site.

Brian Gilham

Dec 29, 2008, 10:37:11 PM12/29/08
to my...@googlegroups.com
SMS isn't working in Canada yet, but I have a few ideas for getting the info out there.

The data is pulled from the TTC's RSS feed of alerts, there's a link at the bottom of the page.
Dec 30, 2008, 1:27:20 AM12/30/08
to my...@googlegroups.com
Very cool indeed!

Sorry I'm late to the thread ;-) Don't know if it would help you at all
(especially since it's one feed) but I found Google's feed sanitizer to
be a real help when dealing with RSS / Atom.. maybe you'd find it as
useful as I did!

http://www.google.com/uds/Gfeeds?v=1.0&output=json&num=20&q=http://www3.ttc.ca/RSS/Service_Alerts/index.jsp

Anyway, hope you find it useful!

Cheers,
Kieran

Brian Gilham

Dec 30, 2008, 1:42:19 AM12/30/08
to my...@googlegroups.com
Kieran,

Thanks for the kind words! I'd never heard of that feed sanitizer before, I'll check it out.

Bgilham