New GTFS

Kevin Branigan

Mar 12, 2010, 10:25:18 PM3/12/10
to MyTTC
New GTFS feed time:

I know it's been a while, but it's finally here!

- We recently refactored several parts of our site. Our stoptimes are
now stored and managed in ram, this required a lot of special tools to
be written to produce this GTFS dump.
- We went to all subway stations to count stairs, escalators and
elevators. This work was half done and I couldn't produce the GTFS
without it being finished.

- A new file for your enjoyment: station_edges.txt

from_id,to_id,service_id,start_time,end_time,type,length,disabled
10228,10227,0,0,0,"Stairs (up)",30,0
10221,10228,0,0,0,"Stairs (up)",29,0
10222,10228,0,0,0,"Stairs (up)",29,0
10222,10218,0,0,0,"Stairs (up)",20,0
10221,10218,0,0,0,"Stairs (up)",20,0
10222,10218,0,0,0,"Elevator (up)",2,0
10221,10218,0,0,0,"Elevator (up)",1,0
10222,10218,0,0,0,"Escalator Out (up)",20,0
10221,10218,0,0,0,"Escalator Out (up)",20,0

- stops.txt has a new field, street_accessible. The points referenced
above are in the stops.txt such as 'Spadina Station Eastbound
Platform', 'Spadina Station Westbound Platform', 'Spadina Station
Walmer Rd Entrance', 'Spadina Station Walmer Rd Mezzanine', etc

(9657 stairs so far, we missed a handful, and the RT stations aren't
completed). Stair cases that we missed are listed as length 0, so
they can be easily identified. Escalator lengths are in number of
equivalent stairs and elevator lengths are just unique identifiers.
Service_id, start_time and end_time are for scheduled edges like
scheduled escalators. They are not currently implemented.

Accessible routing is not available on http://myttc.ca but it works
well in beta and is coming soon - just want to make sure it's perfect.

Here is the new GTFS, the layout of it might be slightly different
then the older one, the tools used to generate are completely new. If
you encounter ANY problems, or if there is any confusion, let me know.

http://myttc.ca/gtfs-myttc-2010-03-12.zip

Kevin Branigan

Mar 13, 2010, 1:13:33 AM3/13/10
to MyTTC

Time for some shameless self promotion of some new features on
myttc.ca:
(these things haven't been described anywhere else, so it's not
_that_ shameful)

- Proximity Searches
http://myttc.ca/near/140_dundas_st_w
http://myttc.ca/near/queen_and_spadina
http://myttc.ca/near/43.6557074,-79.3850234
http://myttc.ca/near/me (uses geolocation - works on iphone and
firefox on laptops)

- API (http://myttc.ca/developers)
http://myttc.ca/queen_and_spadina.json
http://myttc.ca/near/43.6557074,-79.3850234.json
//////////// This is important, you can get the current
scheduled locations of the buses near a location
//////////// Please don't hammer the service, but do take a
look! (won't show much at night time)

- Streetview was added to all views, including:
http://myttc.ca/125_drewry
http://myttc.ca/bathurst_and_steeles
http://myttc.ca/travel/from/union_station/to/dufferin_and_sheppard/at/5pm/on/monday
(just click any of the markers on the map)

- Subway Stations now include multiple entrances and routing actually
traverses internal station edges like stairs, escalators
and elevators. Accessible routing is on it's way, but is not
available publicly just yet. (soon)
http://myttc.ca/finch_station
http://myttc.ca/sheppard-yonge_station

- Quick Redirects
http://myttc.ca/travel/to/2014_yonge_st (not really a redirect,
but fills out the forms for quick completion)
http://myttc.ca/125 (redirects to 125_drewry)
http://myttc.ca/steeles_and_bathurst (redirects to
bathurst_and_steeles)
http://myttc.ca/near (redirects to /near/me -
great for mobile devices)

- New Cloudmade map tiles on all maps, no more overbearing google map
tiles (uses openstreetmap data)

- Old news now, but the trip planner has been completely rewritten to
give multiple options and to actually work at night time.
Demo video: http://vimeo.com/9357617

In development:

- Accessible trip planning for limited mobility
- Custom fast-loading views for the website for mobile safari
(iPhone)
- Native iPhone app to show where the TTC vehicles should be around
you on a map.

I suppose that's all I can think of.
Kevin

> Accessible routing is not available onhttp://myttc.cabut it works

dsukhram

Mar 19, 2010, 2:29:08 PM3/19/10
to MyTTC
thanks a lot for the update. You guys are awesome. you mentioned that
the gtfs was a little different from previous ones. while looking
through it i noticed the following:

routes.txt many routes have been removed that are still in use ie:
29D, 29A etc..
trips.txt doesn't have the "trip_headsign" or "direction_id" fields
anymore.

is this data stored somewhere else now?

thanks

On Mar 13, 2:13 am, Kevin Branigan <kbrani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Time for some shameless self promotion of some new features on
> myttc.ca:
>   (these things haven't been described anywhere else, so it's not
> _that_ shameful)
>
>  - Proximity Searches
>    http://myttc.ca/near/140_dundas_st_w
>    http://myttc.ca/near/queen_and_spadina
>    http://myttc.ca/near/43.6557074,-79.3850234
>    http://myttc.ca/near/me (uses geolocation - works on iphone and
> firefox on laptops)
>
>  - API   (http://myttc.ca/developers)
>    http://myttc.ca/queen_and_spadina.json
>    http://myttc.ca/near/43.6557074,-79.3850234.json
>        //////////// This is important, you can get the current
> scheduled locations of the buses near a location
>        //////////// Please don't hammer the service, but do take a
> look!  (won't show much at night time)
>
>  - Streetview was added to all views, including:
>    http://myttc.ca/125_drewry
>    http://myttc.ca/bathurst_and_steeles

>    http://myttc.ca/travel/from/union_station/to/dufferin_and_sheppard/at...

> > Accessible routing is not available onhttp://myttc.cabutit works

> > well in beta and is coming soon - just want to make sure it's perfect.
>
> > Here is the new GTFS, the layout of it might be slightly different
> > then the older one, the tools used to generate are completely new.  If
> > you encounter ANY problems, or if there is any confusion, let me know.
>

> >http://myttc.ca/gtfs-myttc-2010-03-12.zip- Hide quoted text -

Kevin Branigan

Mar 19, 2010, 4:13:31 PM3/19/10
to MyTTC
Hmm, right right, I don't currently use the GTFS for anything except
as an export and haven't really any way to test it.

I'll make a new GTFS with your requested changes. (I agree they are
needed)

> > >http://myttc.ca/gtfs-myttc-2010-03-12.zip-Hide quoted text -

dsukhram

Mar 19, 2010, 4:36:39 PM3/19/10
to MyTTC
Thanks very much. that would be amazing.

Kevin Branigan

Mar 22, 2010, 12:42:27 AM3/22/10
to MyTTC
http://myttc.ca/gtfs-myttc-2010-03-22.zip

We don't have quite the same model for routes, so I had to change it
around to support the new fields.
Let me know if it's better!

Thanks
Kevin

Dmitry K

Apr 20, 2010, 12:54:28 PM4/20/10
to MyTTC
I was deliberating creation of an iPhone app for locating bus times
near the current user location but it sounds like you guys are brewing
something way more awesome!

On a somewhat related note, I've noticed that a lot of other iPhone
apps (Red Rocket, iTTC etc.) appear to use your data but the users
complain about its inaccuracy. Do you often update schedule data from
TTC.ca?

Cheerio!

On Mar 13, 2:13 am, Kevin Branigan <kbrani...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Time for some shameless self promotion of some new features on
> myttc.ca:
>   (these things haven't been described anywhere else, so it's not
> _that_ shameful)
>
>  - Proximity Searches
>    http://myttc.ca/near/140_dundas_st_w
>    http://myttc.ca/near/queen_and_spadina
>    http://myttc.ca/near/43.6557074,-79.3850234
>    http://myttc.ca/near/me (uses geolocation - works on iphone and
> firefox on laptops)
>
>  - API   (http://myttc.ca/developers)
>    http://myttc.ca/queen_and_spadina.json
>    http://myttc.ca/near/43.6557074,-79.3850234.json
>        //////////// This is important, you can get the current
> scheduled locations of the buses near a location
>        //////////// Please don't hammer the service, but do take a
> look!  (won't show much at night time)
>
>  - Streetview was added to all views, including:
>    http://myttc.ca/125_drewry
>    http://myttc.ca/bathurst_and_steeles
>    http://myttc.ca/travel/from/union_station/to/dufferin_and_sheppard/at...
> > Accessible routing is not available onhttp://myttc.cabutit works
> > well in beta and is coming soon - just want to make sure it's perfect.
>
> > Here is the new GTFS, the layout of it might be slightly different
> > then the older one, the tools used to generate are completely new.  If
> > you encounter ANY problems, or if there is any confusion, let me know.
>
> >http://myttc.ca/gtfs-myttc-2010-03-12.zip

Kevin Branigan

Apr 20, 2010, 6:05:30 PM4/20/10
to MyTTC
Working on it as we speak :)

We try to keep it up to date as best we can but it's a difficult
task. If you see a specific problem that I've missed, give feedback
on the site and I'll take a look.

Unfortunately for the accuracy, there are no sources for more reliable
data at this point. The TTC provides several sources of data and they
all contradict. Also, schedules are only as good as vehicles are at
sticking to them.

I'd like to add a feedback interface on the iPhone app to report
disabled vehicles, disabled elevators, etc but it's a ways off.

Thanks for the interest,
Kevin