Putting a clickable link in a meeting agenda?

David M Rosenberg

Sep 5, 2019, 11:40:17 PM9/5/19
to MyTownGovernment Users Forum
Is it possible to put a clickable link in a meeting agenda? Is anything that looks like a URL automatically made clickable? Is there any way to create an href so that the displayed text is different from the target?

Joshua Smith

Sep 6, 2019, 9:05:10 AM9/6/19
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
Having it recognize URLs and turn them into clickable links seems pretty easy. I’ll look into that.

Hiding the link behind displayed text wouldn’t be a good idea, since these agendas are stored by clerks as paper records, and many people see the agendas only on kiosks where they cannot interact.

On Sep 5, 2019, at 11:40 PM, David M Rosenberg <rose...@acm.org> wrote:

Is it possible to put a clickable link in a meeting agenda? Is anything that looks like a URL automatically made clickable? Is there any way to create an href so that the displayed text is different from the target?

Joshua Smith

Sep 6, 2019, 10:14:29 AM9/6/19
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
Hahaha! It already does it! Apparently 9-years-ago-me thought of everything :)

If you put a URL into an agenda (including something without the protocol, such as www.google.com/translate ) it will detect it and turn it into a link automatically.

If you need to include a link that’s really long and messy, I’d recommend using a shortening tool like bit.ly to make an easier link.

David Shanabrook

Jan 24, 2022, 3:38:46 PM1/24/22
to MyTownGovernment Users Forum
I did have an additional related request. Is there a way of having the location a clickable link as well?  For the location if one puts Zoom it make a clickable like that shows Orange County CA!  When I put instead the zoom link here it is not clickable.

Joshua Smith

Jan 24, 2022, 4:05:33 PM1/24/22
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
Good idea. Feature added.

It checks in the "details" (which is where your "Anytown" test put the link) and in the "address" which is where the link would be if it was a standard link used for all meetings at a location.

-Joshua

David Shanabrook

Jan 24, 2022, 4:43:44 PM1/24/22
to MyTownGovernment Users Forum
Well that was fast!  Great solution, tried it out and seems to work well.  One more thing if it is easy, the link shows as a url (clickable) on the agenda page, but not in the upcoming meetings page.  Possible to have to have it clickable there as well?Untitled 2.jpg

Joshua Smith

Jan 24, 2022, 4:46:43 PM1/24/22
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
It's possible, however I'm not sure it's a good idea. When people are posting Zoom meetings, they really should be giving a lot more than just the link. They need to include telephone numbers, meeting passwords, etc. (Otherwise they are not complying with the emergency order.) I'm all for making links clickable in context, but making it clickable all the way out on the home page doesn't "smell" right to me.

-Joshua

On Jan 24, 2022, at 4:43 PM, David Shanabrook <davidhilto...@gmail.com> wrote:

Well that was fast!  Great solution, tried it out and seems to work well.  One more thing if it is easy, the link shows as a url (clickable) on the agenda page, but not in the upcoming meetings page.  Possible to have to have it clickable there as well?<Untitled 2.jpg>

David Shanabrook

Jan 24, 2022, 5:17:46 PM1/24/22
to MyTownGovernment Users Forum
Sounds reasonable. Good as it is