New feature inquiry

Peter DeGregorio

Mar 27, 2016, 9:10:45 AM3/27/16
to MyTownGovernment Users Forum
Would it be possible to have the site be able to send an email to a fax service? Purpose would be to print the fax at the town hall for physical posting or placement in a notebook or folder, as the case may be. This would relieve the someone in the town office from having to go through emails and printing individual meeting notices or otherwise keeping track of what meetings need to have their info printed. The responsibility would be the chair or clerk of the board or committee to click a button to send the fax. There are fax services which have low cost plans which allow emails to be sent to fax numbers. There may be considerations and complications such as how to route emails which indicate success or failure. Looking for an idea as to feasibility.
Another possibility would be to set up a "cloud" printer that chairs/clerks could print to and the print server would be say a Raspberry Pi at town hall with a USB printer attached. However, fax seems more reliable, but I'm guessing.
Thanks,
Pete

Joshua Smith

Mar 29, 2016, 3:33:07 PM3/29/16
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
There is an administrative interface to print the meeting notices and keep track of which ones you’ve printed.

There is no need to look through emails.

I broached the idea of doing an automatic printing mechanism with my town clerk when I first set up the system, and she really didn’t like it. Printing gets expensive. She wanted to control the process.

Peter DeGregorio

Mar 29, 2016, 6:44:42 PM3/29/16
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
OK I'll look at the interface.
Our town operations with regard to meetings doesn't go through town clerk office but rather BOS admin secretary so she may not see that stuff. But I'll look. I hope you don't mind the ideas (about to post another); I don't mind the no's.

Peter DeGregorio

Peter DeGregorio

Apr 8, 2016, 7:12:06 PM4/8/16
to MyTownGovernment Users Forum
The administrative interface appears to be Print Notices. If a meeting is changed twice the Print Notices function basically prints the meeting info and agenda four times. First thing my user said was I hate wasting paper. Also the information printed is beyond the legal requirement she sees: Just to print meetings which have been scheduled or changed and get them posted on the board. She likes how the system keeps track of changes since last she looked but does not want to see individual notices or the detail of who made the change and the before version of the change. Can there be a version of this process which does that?

Town Government Support

Apr 12, 2016, 4:12:53 PM4/12/16
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
Just to repeat back what you are saying:

- Your clerk doesn’t want to print change notices

That’s surprising. Since other clerks thought they needed to print those.

But yeah, we could do that. Make two buttons:

[Print Notices (including Change Notices)] [Print Only Meeting Notices]

Peter DeGregorio

Apr 12, 2016, 4:39:47 PM4/12/16
to mytowngovernme...@googlegroups.com
Yes exactly (assuming the notice is same/similar as what you get with print agenda) with the understanding that even if the meeting has been updated multiple times it would only be printed once with that print (of course) just showing the current info. And same option to print each meeting on separate pages.

Also, can the controls be put on top above the data rather than below. This is a minor thing but there's a lot of scrolling needed to do second step.

Thanks much

---
Peter DeGregorio
(Mobile)
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MyTownGovernment Users Forum" group.