OpenIVO - still at it.

Marc Allan Feldman

Oct 25, 2011, 2:59:32 PM10/25/11
to MythTV Contractors
Its been about six months since I was here. My goal is to promote an
open source PVR for the general public. It is not to make a lot of
money. The idea is to transfer the control of TV and TV advertising
from the broadcast networks and the cable/satellite/telcos to the
viewers, to transform and improve television. Although I have been
accused of trying to automatically cut or replace TV commercials, that
has never been part of the Openivo project. The idea is to make all
commercials skip-able.

My first steps were to choose hardware and software to prototype. I
picked the Giada N20 mini PC because it is small, attractive, quiet,
and has Nvidia graphics. I chose MythTV as an open source, full
featured package with large, supportive developer community. I chose
XBMC for a front end UI, because it appeared to have the best user
experience.

I worked with a local firm, LeanDog Software, to build and document
the prototype system. You can see it at:
http://www.openivo.com/installation-instructions/mythbuntu-10-10-xbmc-10-1-mythbox-1-0-4-on-giada-n20/

The next step would be develop an installation wizard. Wagnerrp
directed me to the release notes for 0.25, to see that a much improved
installation process is already being built into the new release.

I am willing to wait for 0.25. It is my impression that it would not
make sense to code the "First Time Setup" wizard and the web based
backend setup solution from 0.25 to work in mythbuntu 10.10.

So I am here to offer financial assistance either to help expedite
completion of 0.25 or to support help in making XBMC compatible with
0.25.

Comments?

Friedo Bandito

Dec 19, 2013, 8:58:06 PM12/19/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
Marc:
I'm interested in either working with you or picking up where you left off.
Contact me:
Gregory A. Friedman, AireBeam