Virgin Media and MythTV in a home network

Omnisis

Apr 10, 2012, 3:15:36 PM4/10/12
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
I'm hoping that I can persuade someone to give me some much needed assistance and advice.

My current setup is a VM XL package, with a V+ box in the living room, running a 50mb Superhub, and then 2 other normal STBs, one in a bedroom and one in a cellar room. We also have 4 laptops and a couple of tablets knocking around that all use wireless at the moment. There is also about 8tb of media files sat in external hard drives that are not connected to anything at the moment.

I want to bring the V+ signal into multiple cards in a MythTV backend which can be linked with the existing media and then various frontends linked to Tvs or installed on laptops / tablets etc so all devices can play / record multiple stations etc.

I'm based in Manchester and if there are any members who are local and can help, then I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Another Sillyname

Apr 11, 2012, 11:40:46 AM4/11/12
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
I'm not local so that's not going to help you but I run a setup
similar to your proposed at my house.

Main Media Server with 11tb of media files on a Raid6 array.

Mythbackend server with 2tb with 2 x dual DVB-T tuners and 3 x
DVB-S(2) tuners, all running 2 channel multirec

4 x dedicated htpc systems hooked up to AC3 amps and large flat screen TV's
4 x laptops used for assorted tasks inc mythtv

I've recently been playing with the mythfrontend android app and it
works quite well now just needs a bit more functionality.

probably 50% of recordings made get compressed using nuvexport and
then dumped into the Media Server library.

I would strongly suggest you build a box with at least RAID5 and
preferably RAID6, once you start to build a library you'll hate it if
you lose it.

My mythbackend is a quad core system which is overkill but useful as I
use it to also run a couple of VM's occasionaly.

If you want to get serious about this you should work out your budget
in advance so you have a clear idea what you are trying to achieve and
what you're willing to spend.

Regards