MythTV as People Meter

A Okoa

Sep 11, 2013, 11:14:49 PM9/11/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
We need to develop a box for a project that must register  the channel that "is ON" every 60 seconds on a text file. Basically what a People Meter does for TV Audience Measurement. If someone can develop that kind of application please contact me.

Chris Petersen

Sep 11, 2013, 11:39:21 PM9/11/13
On Sep 11, 2013, at 8:14 PM, A Okoa <ramar...@sati-ca.com> wrote:

> We need to develop a box for a project that must register the channel that "is ON" every 60 seconds on a text file. Basically what a People Meter does for TV Audience Measurement. If someone can develop that kind of application please contact me.

This would probably just be a matter of querying the "recorded" table in the database every minute to see what recordings are available (LiveTV is just a special type of recording). No special programming required.

-Chris

A Okoa

Sep 11, 2013, 11:44:45 PM9/11/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
Chris,
Thank you very much for your response.
I lack programming skills on Linux. Would you be interested on developing this application?
Cordially
Arturo.

Another Sillyname

Sep 12, 2013, 4:49:54 AM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
Sorry who is We?

Regards

Tony

A Okoa

Sep 12, 2013, 1:30:14 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com, anothe...@googlemail.com
We are a small company in Honduras.

Another Sillyname

Sep 12, 2013, 2:49:41 PM9/12/13
to A Okoa, mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
In Honduras?

Really?

You're not based out of Orlando?

http://who.is/whois/sati-ca.com
>> > email to mythtv-contract...@googlegroups.com.

Raymond Wagner

Sep 12, 2013, 2:52:38 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
Are you actually looking to poll what channel MythTV users are currently recording, or are you looking to poll what channel stand-alone televisions and cable boxes are tuned to?

Ricardo Martinez

Sep 12, 2013, 3:24:27 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
We need to query the channel that is tuned to on stand-alone TV. TV Broadcasting is analog.
Cordially

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "MythTV Contractors" group.

Raymond Wagner

Sep 12, 2013, 3:29:20 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
So then this has nothing to do with MythTV?  Also, this will be largely impossible.  Some old high end televisions had serial data ports you could use to command and poll them.  Sufficiently new televisions with HDMI ports can communicate over CEC.  Those that fall under those two scenarios MIGHT allow you to query their current channel.  For everything else, you're completely out of luck.

Ricardo Martinez

Sep 12, 2013, 3:34:57 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
My idea was to build a small computer running mythTV , with an analog TV capture card. I would connect the signal from the Antenna to the computer ( box ) and from there connect the Box to the TV Set.
Since the signal is passing through the computer, I though that I could query MythTV every 60 sec ( from the same computer ) requesting what channel is ON.
The idea is to emulate Nielsen People Meters.
Is that possible?

Raymond Wagner

Sep 12, 2013, 4:01:02 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
You certainly could do that... but MythTV is designed as an expandable DVR.  It is designed to record, and then watch those recordings.  Even "LiveTV" mode isn't even live, as the application records to disk just like any other scheduled recording, and then plays that recording back off disk at a few second delay.  Those recordings stay on disk until you run out of storage and have to flush them to make room for more.  It's vastly overkill, and poorly suited, for what you are looking to accomplish.

Ricardo Martinez

Sep 12, 2013, 4:19:28 PM9/12/13
to mythtv-co...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I understand that MythTV is not the best approach for this particular situation.
Cordially