Re: PyCon Sprints Recap

Jon Riehl

Apr 2, 2013, 3:37:19 PM4/2/13
to Yannick Gingras, myt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yannick,

This year the "Mython, Numba, and more..." sprint focused on making a clear division between the Mython language and the Basil framework.  We moved development from Google code to Github, separating our Python pgen implementation into the mythonlang/pgen2 repository, and finished work on a new Mython syntax in the mythonlang/mython repository.  We also registered both repositories with Travis-CI, allowing us to verify that pgen2 worked on Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2, 3.3, and PyPy!  We registered both projects in PyPI, including releasing a new source distribution for pgen2.

Despite having a single "full-time" contributor involved in the sprint, we benefited from interaction and support from the other sprinters present.

Sprints are a great way to do open source software development.  Sprints provide a group with the opportunity to focus on their project, which may otherwise only be developed in small pockets of free time.  Sprints also serve as a forum for both teaching and learning from a community of developers in a more personal manner than online.  You can evangelize your project, and learn about other projects that could help you solve your problems.

Thanks,
-Jon

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 7:53 PM, Yannick Gingras <ygin...@ygingras.net> wrote:

Jon,
we're compiling a list of the awesome things that happened during the PyCon sprints.

Do you think you could provide us with a the following?

* Two or three sentences on what Mython achieved during the sprints? Ex.: number of bugs closed, test coverage improvements, number of commits, major release packaged and published, ...
* How many contributors did you have during the sprints, both on and off site?
* One or two sentences on why the sprints are an effective way to do software development.

There is no rush but if we can get that information by next Thursday, that would be great.

Cheers!

--
Yannick Gingras