Debian packages of UDF Repository?

h@r@ld

Aug 31, 2008, 1:30:04 PM8/31/08
to The UDF Repository for MySQL
I have been spending a lot of time trying to compile the functions on
Debian/Ubuntu without errors.
Have anyone tried to make Debian packages, or will the MySQL plug-in
system make such conveniences unnecessary? Are there any possibilities
that the Regexp-replace function will be included in Mysql core?

--
Harald Groven
University of Tromsø, Norway

Rich Waters

Aug 31, 2008, 1:43:51 PM8/31/08
to h@r@ld, The UDF Repository for MySQL
Hi harald,

I don't have any debian packages for you
or answers regarding the plug-in system. I can,
however, probably help you get lib_mysqludf_preg to
compile and install if that is the one you
are having problems with.

Can you please send me a description
of the errors you are encountering or
the output from the make command.

-Rich

Roland Bouman

Aug 31, 2008, 2:05:58 PM8/31/08
to h@r@ld, The UDF Repository for MySQL, Rich Waters
Hi All,

>> Have anyone tried to make Debian packages, or will the MySQL plug-in
>> system make such conveniences unnecessary? Are there any possibilities
>> that the Regexp-replace function will be included in Mysql core?

The plug in system is merely an API at the server level - it does
nothing to help deployment of plug-ins

including in core: well, I don't think any of us has actually created
a patch for contribution to Sun | MySQL. Personally, I think that
including in the core kind of defeats the purpose of UDFs dynamic
not install these functions. However, I do understand that it would be
nice if it would be easier for mere mortals to deploy the UDFs.

Harald, do you have any experience with creating Debian packages? What
would it take to create and maintain those? If so, I am sure everybody
on the list is interested to hear, and maybe one or some of us may
volunteer to create them.

kind regards,

Roland

>> --
>> Harald Groven
>> University of Tromsø, Norway

--
Roland Bouman
http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/

h@r@ld

Aug 31, 2008, 2:09:35 PM8/31/08
to The UDF Repository for MySQL
Seems like the install script exits without being able to write the
file lib_mysqludf_preg.so
Are there some configuration options that may solve this permission
issue?

harald@harald:/usr/lib/mysql/plugin$ sudo ./configure ; make install
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc3
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 98304
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... no
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking for g77 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g77 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g77 static flag -static works... yes
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared
libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... (cached) yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... (cached) none needed
checking dependency style of gcc... (cached) gcc3
checking for mysqlbin... checking for mysql_config... /usr/bin/
mysql_config
checking for MySQL libraries... yes
checking lib pcre... (testing)
checking for pcre_study in -lpcre... yes
checking lib pcre... -lpcre
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating test/Makefile
config.status: creating doc/Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged
Making install in test
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/test'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/test'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/test'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/test'
Making install in doc
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/doc'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/doc'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-exec-am'.
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install-data-am'.
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/doc'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin/doc'
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin'
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin'
test -z "/usr/local/lib" || mkdir -p -- "/usr/local/lib"
/bin/bash ./libtool --mode=install /usr/bin/install -c
'lib_mysqludf_preg.la' '/usr/local/lib/lib_mysqludf_preg.la'
/usr/bin/install -c .libs/lib_mysqludf_preg.so /usr/local/lib/
lib_mysqludf_preg.so
/usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file `/usr/local/lib/
lib_mysqludf_preg.so': Permission denied
make[2]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin'
make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/lib/mysql/plugin'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

h@r@ld

Aug 31, 2008, 2:22:01 PM8/31/08
On Aug 31, 8:05 pm, "Roland Bouman" <roland.bou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Harald, do you have any experience with creating Debian packages? What
> would it take to create and maintain those?

I ask because I'm one of the many (millions?) who are much more
familiar with SQL than compiling source code on different OSes with
jungle of library dependencies.
Adding debian package support (as well as Win binaries) will
dramatically lower the barrier to adoption of UDFs for many users like
me.

Rich Waters

Aug 31, 2008, 2:33:46 PM8/31/08
to h@r@ld, The UDF Repository for MySQL
Hi Harald,

If possible, the best way to
solve this is to run the install as
root or using sudo.

Alternatively, you can pass
the --"prefix" option to the
configure command in order to
install into a directory you have
write permission for.

For this, you would use:

./configure --prefix=<directory>

In that case, you would still need to
tell the mysql server where to find the
library by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH before
running the server. I'm not sure how you would
do this without root access if you are not running
your own server.

-Rich