BPRMF optimization (hyperparameter tuning)

Djoels

Feb 22, 2017, 2:30:30 PM2/22/17
to MyMediaLite
What would be the preferred way of optimizing (hyperparameter-tuning) the BPRMF method?
I would think num_factors, and then all of the 4 regularization parameters (which are in a sense confusing to me, maybe I need to re-read the paper), and then the learning rate.
Are there any default values that are supposed to work well for some of these parameters (and closely resemble the original BPR setup)?

Zeno Gantner

Feb 24, 2017, 12:56:45 PM2/24/17
to mymed...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would first set a num_factors (because maybe you have performance considerations), then determine a good learn_rate (by watching convergence on the training set), and then look at the regularization parameters, first using the same values, then decoupling users and items, then distinguishing positive and negative items, etc.

If I remember correctly there recently was a post about this on the list...

Cheers,
  Z.

Djoels

Mar 23, 2017, 5:19:10 PM3/23/17
to MyMediaLite
I'm currently wondering whether parameters like learning rate and regularization parameters are meant to be between 0 and 1?
Or is this choice rather arbitrary?

Regards,

Julien

Op vrijdag 24 februari 2017 18:56:45 UTC+1 schreef Zeno Gantner:
  Z.

Zeno Gantner

Aug 3, 2017, 2:55:50 AM8/3/17
to mymed...@googlegroups.com
Below 0 does not make sense for neither.
And a learning rate of 0 means no updates.

I am not aware of a hard upper limit. I seldom have seen values above 1, though.

If you search exponentially  (..., 0.001, 0.01, 0.1, 1, 10, ...) you will quickly find the rough area of good values.

Z.

Djoels

Aug 3, 2017, 3:53:45 AM8/3/17
to MyMediaLite
Thank you for the help. I've already submitted my master's thesis, for which I modified MyMediaLite a little. I want to thank you for your guidance wrt some of the matters discussed in this group.

The document can be found here, if you're interested: https://www.dropbox.com/s/havll6rn8pzvpzv/20170623_recsys_krook_thesis-final.pdf?dl=0