prediction of wind speed

TUSHAR VAGHASIYA

Mar 20, 2017, 5:23:17 AM3/20/17
to MyMediaLite
I have wind speed data of last one month in this format (30 days(Row) and 24 hours(column)). Now, I want to predict wind speed data of one-day(hour by hour) by using matrix factorization technique. I use a visual studio software in windows system.
Anybody could please give me the suggestion for it?

Zeno Gantner

Mar 20, 2017, 6:53:18 AM3/20/17
to mymed...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am not sure whether MML is the right tool for this task.

How is this related to personalization?
Also, it seems your data matrix is sparse, right?

Cheers,
   Z.

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:23 AM, TUSHAR VAGHASIYA <tkvagha...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have wind speed data of last one month in this format (30 days(Row) and 24 hours(column)). Now, I want to predict wind speed data of one-day(hour by hour) by using matrix factorization technique. I use a visual studio software in windows system.
Anybody could please give me the suggestion for it?

Tushar Vaghasiya

Mar 20, 2017, 7:07:02 AM3/20/17
to mymed...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thank you very much for your message.

As we predict the rating of item by using matrix factorization.
can't we predict the wind speed by using matrix factorization?
I have attached the format of wind speed for one week. now i want to predict 8th day wind speed hour by hour.
could you please suggest me?
Thank you very much in advance.

Regards,
Tushar

one week data.xlsx

Zeno Gantner

Apr 9, 2017, 9:59:39 AM4/9/17
to mymed...@googlegroups.com
btw I meant dense, not sparse in my last e-mail.

I would use something much simpler than MF, like linear regression based on the prior days or so.

The general use case of MML just does not fit this particular prediction problem.

Cheers,
   Z.

Tushar Vaghasiya

Apr 10, 2017, 9:00:09 AM4/10/17
to mymed...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your message.
Actually, I started my work on "prediction of wind power by using matrix factorization technique" for my master thesis.

I wrote this type of program in visual studio.

  {    // load the data
        var training_data = RatingData.Read("C:/Users/TUSHAR/Desktop/matlab csv/train.csv");
        var test_data = RatingData.Read("C:/Users/TUSHAR/Desktop/matlab csv/test.csv");

        // set up the recommender
        var recommender = new MatrixFactorization();
        recommender.Ratings = training_data;
        recommender.Regularization = 0.03f;
        recommender.NumFactors = 24;
        recommender.LearnRate = 0.01f;
        recommender.Train();

        // measure the accuracy on the test data set
        var results = recommender.Evaluate(test_data);
        Console.WriteLine("RMSE={0} MAE={1}", results["RMSE"], results["MAE"]);
        Console.WriteLine(results);

        // make a prediction for a certain user and item
        Console.WriteLine("wind speed={0} ", recommender.Predict(3652, 1));

        Console.WriteLine(recommender.DoCrossValidation());
}

could you please tell me how to select the values of Regularization, NumFactors, and LearnRate?

Thank you very much in advance,
Sincere Regards,
Tushar K. vaghasiya

Djoels

Apr 20, 2017, 9:19:42 AM4/20/17
to MyMediaLite
I've already asked this question before on this forum (roughly the same intuition as with WRMF and BPR for item recommendation applies here I guess):
  • First step would be to select a "feasible" number of factors (num_factors parameter) as this will mostly influence computation time
  • Second step: choose learn rate. Try a couple of learn rates on a logaritmic scale (0.1, 0.01, 0.001 for instance) and watch convergence of chosen evaluation metrics. (find iter option can handily be used to have an evaluation every N iterations (for instance on 5th, 10th, 15th, 20th and 25th iteration)
  • Third step: find optimal regularization parameter. If there's only one, it's going to be very easy, if there are multiple, try a grid search approach, for instance a nested for loop of all posibilities.
PS: A very interesting read (for me) in the domain of CFD and wind speed prediction was "Employing statistical model emulation as a surrogate for CFD", a paper by Moonen and Allegrini from 2015