[FEATURE REQUEST] Recurrence -> Advanced Options -> Advanced Recurring -> Reset flag

Radek Pilich

Mar 12, 2022, 2:57:04 PM3/12/22
to MyLifeOrganized
This is an ask for a new Advanced Recurrence setting - Clear flag.

I believe the primary use of flags is a sort of prioritization tool for next actions.

This works great for non-recurring tasks.

But with recurring tasks there is a trouble, as once assigned flag remainns assigned even for future occurances, which might be undesirable, as the tactical situation in the future will not likely correspond to the current situation and will likely require a different priority.

Therefore it would be useful to have an option (or even a change in default behavior) to have the flag automatically cleared for each new occurance.

imajeff

Mar 14, 2022, 5:58:56 PM3/14/22
to MyLifeOrganized
I've wanted many improvements to recurrence for over 10 years, and what would help most is first implement a scripting language that has control of manipulating everything. Scripts could be triggered by many events, and therefore could help define exactly what kind of recurrence I need in my organization.
Then, when people make useful scripts, they can be shared.

Wolfgang

Mar 19, 2024, 5:26:47 AMMar 19
to MyLifeOrganized
Is there any progress on that?

For instance, I use the "Starred" column to select actions from my (GTD) list of active actions to be done today. For recurring tasks, the star/flag needs to be reset upon completion. I also sympathize with the idea of a scripting language or similar feature, now that we have the "Triggers and Actions" function, but nothing useful to do with it.

imajeff

Mar 22, 2024, 4:16:25 PMMar 22
to MyLifeOrganized
I've not heard of them making a decision to change anything which already works a certain way. That's why people said MLO 6 was not really different than 5. Maybe time for a branch--if a different team could take the essence and start with a new approach to be scriptable and get the other needs reasonable.

I get part of the reasoning to not change how something specific works, but maybe that means it's time to have a branch where some of us actually don't want it to be so tedious with features but not quite useful because of how hard it is to get the results that I need when life keeps progressing.

I still hope someone will chime in saying, "sure we are working on it"

Dwight Arthur

Mar 29, 2024, 6:25:01 PMMar 29
to mylifeo...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to mention that I am a long time fan of the idea of scripting for MLO. Just to be clear, to achieve full value, scripting should be a two way street. Namely, an event in MLO triggers an external script, and, an external script issues commands to MLO.

-Dwight

Wolfgang

Apr 3, 2024, 5:35:43 AMApr 3
to MyLifeOrganized
I wouldn't go as far as a branch or even asking for them interfacing with e.g. Python. But, we already have a trigger for task completion and we have code for operations "clear flag" and "un-star". How much effort can it be to add actions for operations that are already available through the user interface?

imajeff

Apr 3, 2024, 8:18:10 PMApr 3
to MyLifeOrganized
I agree mostly: I don't expect an official 'branch' would work for many reasons, so the only way I imagined is to just say forget about it, won't be resolved, and someone make their own task manager which may have familiarity but also needs written for the purposes we're talking about. Needs to be capable of being improved by community because nobody has resources to make every feature that is requested. "by the community, for the community" so to speak.

There is one thing I remember we were encouraged to do: work directly with the XML structure that saves our tasks. That might allow some manipulation and ability to do something like print my tree in the form I like. It's still very limiting when I'm not sure the rules for the XML format, and of course you could not edit it without having to reload later from MLO to see changes.