What is "Icon Hint" text ? Where is it visible?

John . Smith

Jan 30, 2018, 9:53:15 AM1/30/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hello

In MLO on Windows, if one goes to:

Tools ==> Options ==> Automatic Formatting ==> Properties of selected rule(s) ==> [tick "Icon] ==> "Icon hint"

Where is the "Icon hint" text visible?
It's not coming up when I mouseover on an icon & I can't see it anywhere else.

Thanks

Ford Ford

Jan 30, 2018, 7:33:57 PM1/30/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Hi,
When choosing ICON TYPE (note, dependencies..) you have to select "Note". Then you will see it while hovering on the icon.

Ford

John . Smith

Jan 30, 2018, 8:21:12 PM1/30/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Ford - I still don't understand

Are you saying that if I set the "Icon Type" to be "Note" that the text I supply in the "Icon Hint" will appear when I hover my mouse over the icon where it appears in the Icon column? Because if so it doesn't work.

Note: The Icon type in the Automatic Formatting dialog contains predefined
types of the icons with the following behaviour:
Dependency: This icon type displays task dependency in the hint and opens
the dependency editor if you click on this icon
Goal: This icon type displays the goal type in the hint.
Notes: This icon type displays task notes in the hint and opens the notes
editor if you click on this icon
Reminder: This icon type displays reminder details in the hint and opens the
reminders editor if you click on this icon.
(Custom): This icon type displays the text you entered for the hint.

So it looks to me like I need to choose an Icon Type of "(Custom)" in order to get the effect you describe. Indeed, ONLY if I choose "(Custom)" is the "Icon Hint" field actually editable(!).
However, if I do so, then when I go back out to view my tasks, when I hover my mouse over the relevant icon, still no text appears. Likewise, left-clicking on the icon has no effect either.

Stéph

Jan 31, 2018, 2:33:15 AM1/31/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Sounds to me like this warrants a bug report.

John . Smith

Jan 31, 2018, 6:09:47 PM1/31/18
to MyLifeOrganized
OK, I have reported this as a bug. At least I have attempted to do so.

John Smith

Feb 1, 2018, 2:10:15 AM2/1/18
to MyLifeOrganized

OK I've attempted to report the bug.

John . Smith

Feb 2, 2018, 12:10:15 PM2/2/18
to MyLifeOrganized
Oh... It turns out that none of my popup text was working within MLO. (e.g. When a Tab's name is too long for the space available it should pop up - and that wasn't working either)

Strangely
A) even though I had rebooted the popup text was still failing to appear
B) for who knows what reason the pop-up texts have now suddenly re-appeared - including the "Icon hint" text.

I shall keep an eye out and see if it happens again, but for now the "Icon hint" text is working nicely   :^)